Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Everything this producer touches turns to gold.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by thisDude: [b]Enlighten me. (They don't necessarilly have to be currently working) :cool: [/b][/quote] Because you chose gold instead of platinum, I'm going to assume you mean artistic gold rather than big money gold and nominate the team of Mitchell Froom and Tchad Blake, who have produced/engineered an alarmingly disproportionate number of my favorite albums of the last ten years, inc. gems by Elvis Costello, Los Lobos, Tom Waits, Randy Newman, Ron Sexsmith, many more.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

[quote]Originally posted by Magpel: [b] Mitchell Froom and Tchad Blake, who have produced/engineered an alarmingly disproportionate number of my favorite albums of the last ten years, inc. gems by Elvis Costello, Los Lobos, Tom Waits, Randy Newman, Ron Sexsmith, many more.[/b][/quote] God, if Ron Sexsmith blew any harder, he'd be a hurricane. I cannot understand any of the acclaim that guy (or the production) has received.

[quote]Originally posted by wildabst@aol.com: [b] God, if Ron Sexsmith blew any harder, he'd be a hurricane. I cannot understand any of the acclaim that guy (or the production) has received.[/b][/quote] Matter of taste I suppose... Sexsmith is an odd little songsmith, to be sure, and not my favorite on the Froom/Blake list by far. Generally, those guys attain a balance of earthy and weird that appeals strongly to me. Case in point is Los Lobos' Collossal Head, a bizarre little CD on which every tune is a radically different exercise in groove and ambiance. There aren't very many memorable songs on the album, Mas y Mas maybe, but each track is a sonic adventure.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

If by "turns to Gold", you mean commercial success, I'm pretty sure it's Mutt Lange by a mile. AFAIK, nobody else is even close, if you measure by average sales per album produced. Maybe George Martin, in a more limited scope with a single act, obviously, the Beatles. I believe Mutt's numbers average around 4 million sales per album over the last 20 years or so. That's huge. Just add up AC/DC, Foreigner, Def Leppard, Bryan Adams, Shania Twain and you're talking humongous numbers. Over 100,000,000 units on just those acts. Wow, I bet those are some tasty royalty statements, eh? Who else has produced *several* albums over 20,000,000 units in sales by different artists. Also, note that more often than not, for an artist with a long career span, their best work on both an artistic and commercial level was with a certain producer. Mutt's looking very good there as well. "Back in Black", "Foreigner 4", "Pyromania", etc. No, I'm not a Mutt groupie. But simply giving credit where it's due may make it look that way. A very impressive track record over a very long period of time. "Lucky" is not a word that applies here. And now, it's time for somebody to come wading in to the thread with a tirade about what a putrid loser Mutt is. Seems inevitable around here. Sorry for the cynicism. I wish it wasn't justified. In any event, I think Mutt rocks. Regards, Brian T

Jimmy Page had a pretty good batting average with Led Zeppelin. Dr. Dre has put up some impressive numbers over the years. Trevor Horn, Mutt Lange...no arguments from The Curve over either of those nominations. In my opinion, the definition of "producer" is an area where numbers [b]do[/b] speak, and personal taste takes a back seat. The idea is to [b]produce[/b] after all, right? Hopefully The Curve will make that list in the coming years...wish me luck! Eric :)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

George Martin and Allan Parsons are the chief priests of rock and otherwise production, and should be atop the list. There are people like Roger Nichols who put Steely Dan in your living room. With him, less is definitely much more. I like that simple, "getting out of the way of the music" style a lot for pop or contemporary music. Brian Eno and Ruper Hines are good for a funny juxtaposition of understatement and clever trickery. I'm sure there are many more I'm failing to think about because it's suppertime, my only meal for today, slobber. But I think above all I love to hate David Crosby. Fred Maher and he produced the album of the 90's and beyond when David almost single handedly created VAST. How dare one man have so much talent. :D
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

personally, although i wouldn't mention it on the gm forum, i'm very impressed with daniel lanois jon brion has a good batting average froom/blake team are pretty hot mutt lange is a master cheers max newcastle, oz

[quote]Originally posted by gbtank@home.com: [b] And now, it's time for somebody to come wading in to the thread with a tirade about what a putrid loser Mutt is. Seems inevitable around here. Sorry for the cynicism. I wish it wasn't justified. Regards, Brian T[/b][/quote] Ain't gonna be me.....Mutt is the man :cool:

Another vote for Mutt. Nobody even mentioned The Cars "Heart Beat City" He has actually made the best in almost any category. 1. AC/DC - Best Real rock records. 2. Def Leppard - Best Hair band records. 3. The Cars - Best Overproduced MTV Pop record 4. Foreigner - Best Mellow Rock Record 5. Bryan Adams - Best Solo Male Soundtrack Rock Record 6. Shania Twain - Best Crossover Country Record I've got some catching up to do :D [ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Produceher ]

Another vote for Mutt. Nobody even mentioned The Cars "Heart Beat City" He has actually made the best in almost any category. 1. AC/DC - Best Real rock records. 2. Def Leppard - Best Hair band records. 3. The Cars - Best Keyboard MTV Pop record 4. Foreigner - Best Mellow Rock Record 5. Bryan Adams - Best Solo Male Soundtrack Rock Record 6. Shania Twain - Best Crossover Country Record I've got some catching up to do :D

Rick Ruben. Ted Templeman. I'm not really talking numbers, just the guys that I really admire. Flame away...

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Hey guys, there's more than just ROCK producers! Sure Mutt is great, but there are others. What about Byron Gallimore, James Stroud, and Keith Stegall??? These guys get my vote! For those who don't know, they have produced some of the most fantastic country albums in the past decade and a half. SH

---------------------------------

Seventh Heaven Studio

[quote]Originally posted by SeventhHeaven: [b]Hey guys, there's more than just ROCK producers! Sure Mutt is great, but there are others. What about Byron Gallimore, James Stroud, and Keith Stegall??? SH[/b][/quote] I know these guys and work with them now and then. They've made some good records, but even they would vote for Mutt themselves. Regards, Brian T

oh folks... mutt's cool and all, but i'd put top honors on a couple of folks from Turkey: ahmet ertegun/arif mardin either together or apart and with or without tom dowd or brother nueshu (sp?) ertegun: average white band bryan ferry duane allman culture club t-bone walker bee gees' some chick named aretha franklin george benson roy buchanan some guy named ray charles buffalo springfield phil collins hall n oates roberta flack donny hathaway isaac hayes chaka khan bette midler patti labelle the rascals willie nelson carly simon dusty springfield james taylor dionne warwick plus ahmet gave us led zeppelin, crosby stills, nash and young, etc. with that little label he started: atlantic. -d. gauss

[quote][b]oh folks... mutt's cool and all, but i'd put top honors on a couple of folks from Turkey: ahmet ertegun/arif mardin either together or apart and with or without tom dowd or brother nueshu (sp?) ertegun: average white band bryan ferry duane allman culture club t-bone walker bee gees' some chick named aretha franklin george benson roy buchanan some guy named ray charles buffalo springfield phil collins hall n oates roberta flack donny hathaway isaac hayes chaka khan bette midler patti labelle the rascals willie nelson carly simon dusty springfield james taylor dionne warwick plus ahmet gave us led zeppelin, crosby stills, nash and young, etc. with that little label he started: atlantic. -d. gauss[/b][/quote] Ummm...are we all talking about the same thing here?

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

The Ertegun brothers founded Atlantic Records and Arif Mardin was a brilliant producer, co-producer in their stable. The acts named were involved in theat whole teamwork and certainly represent brilliant creative minds at the label and in production. I've been a fan of Arif for years. Regards, Brian T

A timely link here. This is the most info I've seen on Mutt in one place, in terms of facts and figures. http://www.nationalpostbusiness.com/home.asp?include=9§ion=9&articleid=304 or just go to: http://www.nationalpostbusiness.com and click the article. 135 recorded songs? Produced 7 of the top 100 albums of all time? Largest selling female solo album? Largest cross genre success of any producer? And all of it over a period of more than 20 years. Seems like that would be pretty tough to beat. Man, I better hurry up. Regards, Brian T

im going to throw some electronica names up for thought chemical brothers (amount of remixes and off-the-shelf records) Q Hybrid (overnight nuskool breaks sensations, remix sluts) bt (except the britney thing which got shelved) eno hey, did anyone mention.... JOHN CAGE mwaaahahahaha hey scott lit and rick rubin seem to be around a bit too

One of my favorite topics! Mutt's got an incredible record (no pun intended). Roy Thomas Baker's "over the top" productions have always impressed me. I love his BGV's. Currently, Brendan O'Brien's stuff always amazes me. He's the one "new" guy I'd really like to work with. But IMO, the greatest producer of all time would have to be Sir George Martin. He's done it all, and always brings the best out of the artist. [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

[quote]Originally posted by Magpel: [b] Because you chose gold instead of platinum, I'm going to assume you mean artistic gold rather than big money gold and nominate the team of Mitchell Froom and Tchad Blake, who have produced/engineered an alarmingly disproportionate number of my favorite albums of the last ten years, inc. gems by Elvis Costello, Los Lobos, Tom Waits, Randy Newman, Ron Sexsmith, many more.[/b][/quote] I liked Los Lobos better pre-Froom/Blake They drown them out with tin can effects. I think the first one they did with them was Kiko, which was great, but since then they just keep getting weirder and weirder. :confused:

Here's a couple that produced a lot of stuff in my cd collection [url=http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=R72165#APPEAR]George Drakoulias[/url] [url=http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=R98524#APPEAR]Steve Lillywhite[/url] Marshall Crenshaw to Dave Matthews [url=http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=R60998#APPEAR]T-bone Burnett[/url] The BEST Los Lobos producer :D

I like Mutt Lange and Byron Gallimore, also. I would add Paul Worley to the list. If you're just looking at numbers, you HAVE to include Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. I'm not a fan of their "pop dance" stuff, but they've got the numbers to back them up...
Larry W.

OK OK. As far as "new" guys go, I'd have to say Brendan O'Brien and Terry Date. Sonically, the best in the business.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived