Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Daisy Chain (passive and powered) Monitors

kwyn

The band has an old crappy mixer and amp. Anyway, can a powered speaker come off the end of the daisy chain after 3 passive monitors? What about a headphone amp like a Rolls for wired IEMs?

So can this work?

Mixer->amp->passive monitors-->powered speaker (or headphone amp)

The powered speakers will want a line-level signal (from the mixing board).  The passive speakers are going to need a speaker-level signal (from a power amp).  So you cannot daisy-chain powered and passive speakers.  But you can run them in parallel.

Split the output from the mixing board: one line goes to the powered speakers; the other line goes to the amplifier and then to the passive speakers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamPro said:

The powered speakers will want a line-level signal (from the mixing board).  The passive speakers are going to need a speaker-level signal (from a power amp).  So you cannot daisy-chain powered and passive speakers.  But you can run them in parallel.

Split the output from the mixing board: one line goes to the powered speakers; the other line goes to the amplifier and then to the passive speakers.

East enough. Thanks!!

“Split” the output is not very specific. You need to run the passive speakers from the active output on the powered mixer. The self-powered speakers need to be run from a separate output at “line level” from the mixer. 

26 minutes ago, PianoMan51 said:

“Split” the output is not very specific. You need to run the passive speakers from the active output on the powered mixer. The self-powered speakers need to be run from a separate output at “line level” from the mixer. 

To further provide guidance since all outputs from a mixer are "active", you specifically want to run the passive speakers from the speaker outs on the board. 

You'll run the active monitors from the line outs. In a pinch (you'll lose the effects) you can run the active monitors from the send in the effects loop. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

"The band has an old crappy mixer and amp."

I didn't see any mention of a powered mixer in the OP's post - I assumed the OP's mixer put out a line-level output, and a separate amp was powering the passive speakers.

But yes: if OP is using a powered mixer, the mixer's main outputs will be speaker-level, and therefore unsuited for connecting to a powered speaker needing a line-level input.  If the OP is using a powered mixer, the OP can probably get a line-level signal from the powered mixer via an aux output.

1 hour ago, JamPro said:

"The band has an old crappy mixer and amp."

I didn't see any mention of a powered mixer in the OP's post - I assumed the OP's mixer put out a line-level output, and a separate amp was powering the passive speakers.

But yes: if OP is using a powered mixer, the mixer's main outputs will be speaker-level, and therefore unsuited for connecting to a powered speaker needing a line-level input.  If the OP is using a powered mixer, the OP can probably get a line-level signal from the powered mixer via an aux output.

The mixer is not powered. It goes to an amp. I should've clarified that. 

Typically you can "daisy chain" multiple passive monitors off one amplifier. But also realize that if each passive monitor is 8 ohms (which is typical), when you connect 3 together, you're dropping the overall impedance to 2.66. Which suggests you should check the specs on your amplifier to make sure it's rated down to 2 ohms.

And yes, active monitors are a different beast and would take a mixer output like aux, especially if you want pre-fader control of that monitor feed.

(1 = 8 ohms, 2 = 4 ohms, 3 = 2.66 ohms, 4 = 2 ohms...see 1:15 of the video I've embedded below).

Highly recommend this video to you, especially since you mentioned other possible devices like Rolls IEM unit and such. You want to make sure you understand the guidelines for what kind of input each device is seeking before you cable up and turn anything on.

28 minutes ago, timwat said:

Typically you can "daisy chain" multiple passive monitors off one amplifier. But also realize that if each passive monitor is 8 ohms (which is typical), when you connect 3 together, you're dropping the overall impedance to 2.66. Which suggests you should check the specs on your amplifier to make sure it's rated down to 2 ohms...

This is very important and often overlooked.  Be sure you read and understand what TimWat said.  No kidding.

Most PA amps are fine down to 4 ohms (two speakers.)  Better ones work down to 2 ohms (4 speakers).  Breaking this rule degrades sound quality and can damage the amp.  (No wonder it's crappy!)

Post the amp's model and we might be able to help you with specs.  Also double-check that the speakers are 8 ohms (most are, but not all.)