Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone had experience with Korg microkey air?

yannis D

I was thinking about purchasing a Korg Microkey air for some travel gigs and local ones, to use it principally with my iPad (Camelot) or even MacBook Mainstage rig. I'm thinking to buy the 49 one: small enough to sneak it in my MAudio and enough keys to play some Rhodes and the occasional synth (pads leads etc). Thomman (the big European railer,) has it for 174 euros, not too bad pricewise...

Is latency acceptable for a live gig when it is located near the iPad? Does the key bed suck completely or it's ok? 😅 Do I need a other item to connect it with my ipad? I like the 61 model but I wonder if travel companies will let me take it in the cabin. Too many questions...

I check YouTube videos, but I'd rather hear from your onstage (and possibly travel) experience.

Thanx in advance

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I got one to take away with me. I haven't used it much since the pandemic though.  As a piano player, I find the key size is something you do ultimately get used to, but it is a compromise. It has a squishy bottoming almost feeling like the key sticks are a bit flexible, but the velocity articulation and nimble response is surprisingly good.

I have the 61 key version, as I need room for both hands. Anything less would be too restrictive for me. (I always wished they'd make an 88 version!)

The bluetooth uses it's own Korg driver and app. I find the latency to be quite acceptable, but that is a very subjective thing. I think playing organ and synth pads would respond well enough for a gig. Note though, it does have a wired USB connection too, needing the camera adapter for the iPad. I use it with a mac, not iOS. I think I once tried it on my iPhone, but can't remember if I hardwired it or bluethooth. But yes, I think your application for it would be worth trying, if you're happy playing everything on synth keys, you might find it quite acceptable.

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

I have and use a Microkey Air 49, roughly two years. I use it mainly with iPad (Korg Module, Camelot).

I vaguely remember a few minor connection issues back then. It wasn't showing up in the Apple Bluetooth settings device list although I could still pair/connect via Module. Since those early days, it's been connecting rock solid, including Camelot.

49 is a good size for what I play -- two-handed contemporary church music (AKA "pop" 😀 ) I can adapt between the Korg mini-keys and MODX without two much trouble. Jumping up to acoustic piano, not so much. Korg really did put some thought into their mini-key design and they are reasonably playable/responsive.

Battery life is good. Yep, it will run on external USB power, too. Unfortunately, USB power means USB communication, no BT! Weird choice on Korg's part. So, you cannot power via the USB port and communicate via BT. Make sure to have spare batteries.

Only pitch bend, mod wheel and sustain. Wish it had expression instead of sustain. Mod wheel and sustain are the only tweakable CCs. I configure the mod wheel to CC11 expression in order to control volume remotely.

Overall, I'm happy with it. Very portable -- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/wire-less-part-1-korg-microkey-air-49/

• Like 1

I have a MicroKey Air 61 and like it a lot. It’s surprisingly comfortable to play. Korg did a nice job on the action. I pair it with my IPad running Korg Module, B3X, KeyStage, etc. It’s fun to play. I don’t feel any latency. I’m pretty sure I could do a gig with it but haven’t tried.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Al Quinn said:

I have a MicroKey Air 61 and like it a lot. It’s surprisingly comfortable to play. Korg did a nice job on the action. I pair it with my IPad running Korg Module, B3X, KeyStage, etc. It’s fun to play. I don’t feel any latency. I’m pretty sure I could do a gig with it but haven’t tried.

Τhese apps (plus the Gospel musicians Rhodes and minus B3X cause I got VB3m) are the ones i plan to use it with. And also some synths.  

• Like 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands