Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

$30. Klon!

5 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I ordered one. I don't like the ts9, haven't used in years, and my Joyo AceTone is a 1 trick pony. This $35. including shipping and tax. If it's no good I'm not out that much.

https://youtu.be/9uLB99uwT3Y

I hope you really enjoy it! And that's a Hell of a deal! Sounds pretty good! I bet it'll be cool to dial-in a good rhythm 'n riff tone that'll clean-up at least a little with your guitar's volume-knob, and then stack your 2B Clean-Boost into it and kick it up to "MORE!" for a big fat lead-boost.

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

If it's an actual Klon circuit ...  Never ever run it on a power supply greater than 9v.  You will release the magic smoke.

I hope you enjoy it.

FYI - just for giggles.  The Tumnus is Brian's take on the Klon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

4 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I hope you really enjoy it! And that's a Hell of a deal! Sounds pretty good! I bet it'll be cool to dial-in a good rhythm 'n riff tone that'll clean-up at least a little with your guitar's volume-knob, and then stack your 2B Clean-Boost into it and kick it up to "MORE!" for a big fat lead-boost.

That's my plan. I'll also use my AceTone. It's a one trick pony, but it does that one trick really good.

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/diy-klon-overdrive-pedal-professional-overdrive/269178263.html?d1_page_num=1&dspm=pcen.sp.list.4.TnOmM2DWsroNgrPTm7sg&resource_id=269178263&scm_id=search.LIST..@.prerank001|3|0|esm2|7_5|ER-B|gold|newes|7_5.B.#s1-3-1;searl|1051276258:4

I found this on Dhgate.com.  It is also a Klon clone, and it says:  You're getting a hand-made, fully-tested pedal using the original spec FET-based op-amps - meaning low noise operation and smooth top-end response.
   The 18v circuit gives plenty of clean headroom, whilst the treble control gives plenty of tone-shaping flexibility. Great for pushing a gritty valve amp into 'screaming' territory, these pedals also provide enough grit to stand alone as a medium-gain 'crunch' box.
   Controls are for 'Gain', 'Treble', and 'Output'.

Right now it's $35.03, including shipping, plus I have a $4 coupon.  I may just get one for the fun of it on Thursday.  I'll sleep on it and see what I feel like doing about eleven hours from now.

• Like 4
I rock; therefore, I am.

I just bought it.  The total price, including shipping, was $31.03.  It will probably take 3-4 weeks to get here, or longer, based upon how long my other purchases have taken since the start of this year.  But when it does eventually get here, I will write about it, good, bad, or otherwise.

• Like 4
I rock; therefore, I am.

I may buy one of those from DHgate, and put my Tumnus mini in it for fun. I have read that the Klon guy really hates whats become of his pedal with super high prices. 

Lok

• Like 2

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

On 4/30/2023 at 12:07 PM, Lokair said:

I have read that the Klon guy really hates whats become of his pedal with super high prices. 

Lok

I don’t know about the builders’ opinions, but I know there’s several pedals/brands out there with skyrocketing prices on the used market.  I’ve seen pedals from Chase Bliss, Spaceman and others going over $700…discounted.

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

It arrived today. I won't use it probably till next weekend. Take this week to work with it and take it out next Friday. Seems fairly well built, I didn't take the back off yet. We're going busking for an hour or so, then I'll take it off to put a battery In. I'll take it next-door and have my grandpa look at it. He doesn't use pedals, but he is an appliance repair person/part time guitar tech, so he knows electronics.20230505_145618.thumb.jpg.5d165e2e42a304e06810bd4c758813df.jpg

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

9 hours ago, surfergirl said:

It arrived today. I won't use it probably till next weekend. Take this week to work with it and take it out next Friday. Seems fairly well built, I didn't take the back off yet. We're going busking for an hour or so, then I'll take it off to put a battery In. I'll take it next-door and have my grandpa look at it. He doesn't use pedals, but he is an appliance repair person/part time guitar tech, so he knows electronics.20230505_145618.thumb.jpg.5d165e2e42a304e06810bd4c758813df.jpg

Enjoy! I hope it's great and suits you and your guitars and other gear really well!

On 5/1/2023 at 8:30 PM, Dannyalcatraz said:

I don’t know about the builders’ opinions, but I know there’s several pedals/brands out there with skyrocketing prices on the used market.  I’ve seen pedals from Chase Bliss, Spaceman and others going over $700…discounted.

I've got more than a few pedals with asking-prices that have gone up considerably since I bought them, IF they can be found for sale...

• Like 2

I've read that ge pedals don't play well in heat. I've never had a problem with my 2b, I do keep it out of the sun and will do the same with the klon. Playing at night when it's under 80 should eliminate any issues. 

Where to put the klon is the next thing. I'm thinking klon-2b-AceTone-delay, 2b in front is an option. 

Next battery or battery powered power supply.

• Like 1

Jennifer S.

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I've read that ge pedals don't play well in heat. I've never had a problem with my 2b, I do keep it out of the sun and will do the same with the klon. Playing at night when it's under 80 should eliminate any issues. 

Where to put the klon is the next thing. I'm thinking klon-2b-AceTone-delay, 2b in front is an option. 

Next battery or battery powered power supply.

Germanium diodes don't seem to be that fussy about heat, within reasonable ranges. Germanium transistors, on the other hand, are NOTORIOUSLY finicky and susceptible to going sour and unpleasantly weird or even just plain failing to work when they get a little hot, and I don't think that it takes too much.

Most of the "germanium" pedals that I have use ge diodes, and not ge transistors; and I suspect that to be the same with yours, as well- maybe even all of yours. You should have little to nothing to be concerned about there.

Me, I'd put that 2B first in that line, maybe even first in line altogether barring a tuner-pedal, unless a given pedal was fussy about having a buffer in front of its input. (I'm working on having fewer and fewer still that are affected by having a buffer or anything in front of them like that.) But of course, ultimately that's up to how you like the way they sound together! And of course, if you prefer to use your 2B to make your pedals louder without increasing their dirt and compression, you might prefer it after those, or even at the final end of your chain of pedals.

• Like 1

I just got the new Klon clone pedal in the mail about fifteen minutes ago.  I opened up the box, pulled out the pedal, got a phillips head screwdriver to remove the backplate and install one nine volt battery, and then I took it upstairs to try it out.  I used my Kiesel guitar going into the Klon clone, and then into my Epiphone Electar 10 tube amp (and no, I don't want to sell it).  I set the volume on the amp at three, the gain at one, and the bass, mid and treble knobs all at five.  With the pedal turned off, it was a basic clean plink plink plink kind of sound.   I then turned the pedal on, with all three knobs at five (on a zero to ten scale) position.  Using all five pickup switch positions on the guitar, it sounded like a slightly louder version of the basic clean plink plink plink.  I then turned the gain on the amp up to three, and tried it again.  Sonic sledgehammer time!  That's the kind of overdrive guitar sound that I wanted to hear.  I'm going to play around with this pedal later on, when I get back home from riding the Waverunner.

I'm thinking of taking the guitar, pedal and amp out to the gun club this week.  We have fifty acres, gunfire, and a small airport next door, so I doubt the neighbors out there will gripe about me turning the volume up to ten to see if I can unleash an onslaught of sonic devastation.  I shall keep everyone posted.

• Like 6
I rock; therefore, I am.

I took it out this weekend for about 4 hours, more experimenting with settings. I put my Fulltone 2b 1st then the Klon, Joyo AceTone and MXR delay. I gave my MXR Mico Amp and EHX Satisfaction Fuzz to my half sister to use. I may have to take the fuzz away from her and hide it, everything we did had Lots of fuzz whether it was needed or not.🙂 None of my glares fazzed her, but it was fun so I'll just let her keep adding fuzz to everything.😬 Since the tips were almost double what we made last time we went out, maybe the fuzz was a good thing.🤑

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Jennifer S.

55 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

None of my glares fazzed her, but it was fun so I'll just let her keep adding fuzz to everything.😬 Since the tips were almost double what we made last time we went out, maybe the fuzz was a good thing.🤑

Surfergirl, as a businessman for forty years now, one thing I have learned that many businesspeople don't learn is that it doesn't matter what you like.  You're not the one giving you money.  Obviously, the people giving money to you and your sister like that distorted guitar sound.  I'm guessing that others who are out busking all play that blah blah blah boring stuff, while the two of you came out and played something different that sounded good.  Keep up the good work.

And speaking of busking, yesterday, out in front of the gas station there was a guy strumming one chord on a Fender acoustic guitar that was out of tune.  I gave him a dollar and told him his E sounded more like an E flat.  He said he's a drummer, and that he doesn't normally play the guitar.  That makes sense.  A guy out there banging away on a drum set would probably chase off most people.  I was tempted to go back home, print out some chords, and go back and give him the sheet, so he could play more than just the one chord (it looked like E major).  If I see him again, I'll give him a set of new strings so his guitar doesn't sound dull and uninspiring.

• Like 6
I rock; therefore, I am.

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying their knock-off Klon . . . I mean Clone.

I'd seen a video a while back with one of those, and the person doing the demo was very surprised at how much he liked the sound of the clone.

• Like 2

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com