Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ME and KAZUO YAIRI are like"that"(holds two fangers touching)OR my "85"DY48 6 strang

oh yeah babies! I gots me a six strang that looks purty and is kinda olde(1985) and is made by a japanese cat by the name of KAZUO YAIRI.

this axe is a DY 48 six stranger and is made in the laminate fashion.

when one looks inside you will see an inche wide strip that runs longways down the middle of the back. some that own taylors and gibsons may SCOFF at the idea of a LAMINATE axe yet I finde the tone of my KUZUO YAIRI to be rich and sustaining in note.

This axe is unusual in that I am unable to identify the wood at this stage of the YAIRI GAME and so must axe you all what you thank 'bout it all.

this wood is light tan and has dark wavy lines. the neck is also from the same light tan color'd wood with a mahogony fret board? and mini-dot markers with a stylized emblem at the twelfth.

thanks for lettin' me share

the end..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent!

Let's see some pictures, and most importantly, let's hear some killer tunes through it!

:thu:

I dunno anything bout that guitar, and i don't have a gibson or a taylor, i have a yamaha, a fender and an ibanez, so I won't scoff at it. You seem happy and excited, so it must be good :thu:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

hey hey! I'll send some pics and I've arranged a couple of thangs for recording later..

the fretboard is EBONY and the wood on back and sides and neck is hawaii koa. the top is tight grained light color'd and could be spruce or maple.

I paid four hunner'd smacks for this slightly used beauty and case. the MOST i've ever paid for a nice axe. no one touchs this one, but me; thank you very much!.

it plays well and has a soft sustaining tone that brightens considerably when picked with a plectrum or ones fangernails.

Bach or back country delta blues sound equally well on this axe.

thanks for lettin' me share..

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Arell,

I had a Yairi doubleneck 6/12 acoustic...back in the 80s.

I've been kicking myself in the ass a long time for selling that guitar. I was young and stupid. Now I'm just old and stupid.

Sounds like a sweet guitar. I love Yairis. And Alvarezes are great bang-for-the-buck guitars, too.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I used to have a Yairi DY-56... it was a nice (solid wood) guitar, and it had good tone.

Are you sure it's a laminate? IIRC, the Yairi's were mostly solid wood guitars, and the Alvarez (not Alvarez-Yairi) stuff was the less expensive / lami stuff.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter if you like the way the guitar plays and sounds. Congrats on the new ax! :)

I can see a small strip on the inside of the back center running the length of the axe where the back is joined. 3/4 quarter of an inch wide.

I assumed this is why it's called a laminate.

my other two box guitars( asian harmony reissue, asian counterfeit hummingbird) do not have this strip. .

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

What you're looking at is a trim piece of wood seperating the two piece back. When they talk about a laminated top (or back / sides for that matter), they're talking about laminations similar to a piece of plywood. On the surface, plywood looks like a solid sheet of wood, but if you look at it from the side - check the thickness part of the wood, you can see it's made up of multiple layers of wood - it's not solid.

The best place to check on your Yairi is probably at the soundhole. Look at the wood of the soundboard - the "top" of the guitar. Check right at the edge of the soundhole - you should be able to see it's a solid sheet of wood and not see laminations. :)

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

great that you found something you love!

HEY ted I ONLY love those thing that are able to LOVE ME BACK. a guitar will NEVER love me so I only LIKE my guitar.

A THING will never love you so one should be wary of LOVING an inaminate object.

HEY PHILLY!

I looked and felt around under the soundhole. I found that the top, as are the back and sides, "is solid" with another trim piece set back from the soundhole going all the way around the soundhole next to the bracing. .

I snapped some digi pics but the detail is nil so I won't post 'em....

this is a signed KUZUO YAIRI axe. has his siggy on it for real. says 1985 dy48 on the same sticker

a very sparse guitar really. very plain and just my style of axe. (like me)not really flashy but sounds great.

thanks for lettin' me share..

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Originally posted by phaeton:

Excellent!

Let's see some pictures, and most importantly, let's hear some killer tunes through it!

:thu:

I dunno anything bout that guitar, and i don't have a gibson or a taylor, i have a yamaha, a fender and an ibanez, so I won't scoff at it. You seem happy and excited, so it must be good :thu:

Since you did'nt scoff...

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/arellspencer/images/sm-480311.jpg

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/arellspencer/images/sm-480310.jpg

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/arellspencer/images/sm-480309.jpg

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/arellspencer/images/sm-480308.jpg

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Archived