Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transporting gear in one trip.

We started busking last weekend and sometimes we have to park two blocks away from where we are playing. 3 guitars, 2 amps, 2 mics, 2 mic stands, 1 guitar stand, cables, 4 pedals and miscellaneous. 

We solved it by using 2 extra large wheeled duffle bags (we fit 1 guitar in a duffle bag) and 2 gig bags. Worked perfectly. 🙂

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

Wheels!!!! 

I've played with lots of musicians and hardly any of them understand the concept of wheels. 

I carry gig guitars in gig bags with backpack straps. Locking tuners have allowed me to bring one guitar, string changes are very rare and go quickly with locking tuners. 

I have a folding dolly with 7" wheels (enough to smooth out the haul). I put my one guitar amp on the dolly, put the gig bag on top of it and if I need a mic stand I carry that in one hand and pull (or push) the dolly with the other hand. Once in a while I have to set the mic stand down to open a door, I hold that open with one foot, grab the mic stand and enter. 

The one obstacle I haven't allowed for is stairs. I just don't book at those places unless they have a great PA including mic stands and mics. If I need an amp, I just bring my Tech 21 Para Driver DI which is small and light and fits easily in the pouch of the gig bag (along with strings, a winder, picks etc. ). 

We don't really need much stuff to get a gig done!!!!

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have a lightweight amp that has all the effects in it that I need. I also have a Bluetooth speaker that is actually pretty loud, I have the guitar in a case and the needed wires fit inside the back of the amp. Guitar in one hand and amp in the other with the Bluetooth speaker for a second trip. No mikes and no PA's or speakers for vocals. I can sing pretty loudly and play at the same volume as my amp and Bluetooth speaker if I was busking. If I was actually playing out for gigs, I would have a nice hand truck and some ties to fasten the equipment to the hand truck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sharkman said:

A few bungee cords will help hold things down or in place.

Yep.

My amp is held in place on the dolly by gravity. I slide the carry strap over the handle of the dolly and wrap my hand around both. 

So far so good...

• Like 3

Pedalboard (underneath everything else), Guitar Synth (in soft Pedaltrain case), Looper (Kaces gig bag), KB Amp (under Looper), Guitar Stand, and coffee cup. The random piece of rack gear was scavenged from the studio where I was performing that day, its not part of my set-up.

My live set-up for Novparolo fits on one Pedaltrain 1 pedalboard, and we usually go direct to FOH, so it's even more compact. IIRC, that folding cart was around $50US at Costco? Well worth the money.

100_4201.JPG

• Like 4

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I'm no longer gigging but I do play at private parties now and then, and also at open mics.  Open mic is an easy way to go with just a guitar.  Parties at friends' gigs, I can make in one trip, guitar and mic stand in one hand, amp in the other and a backpack for cords, mics, strings, batteries, tuner, beer, etc.  I like to bring my own stool and a small ice chest, so I usually do it in two trips...😎

ps. Having a lightweight amp (22lbs or less) really makes it easy.  My amp runs both the guitar and the mic.

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

On 4/15/2023 at 7:51 AM, Larryz said:

ps. Having a lightweight amp (22lbs or less) really makes it easy.  My amp runs both the guitar and the mic.

This is my "weak spot". I have a Fishman Loudbox Performer. It weighs 32 pounds but it's 180 watts and an 8" 3-way. If you need it, it has it. 

I would like a smaller, lighter Loudbox. The Artist weighs 25.5 pounds and is still crazy loud with all the effects and EQ of the Performer. 

Maybe someday, for now, I dolly up with the bigger one. My Peavey VIP 1 with a Scorpion in it is under 25 pounds but just for electric guitar. Still, it's plenty of stage volume for anything. 

• Like 3

The Boss Street Cube ll weighs 9.75 pounds, each bag has total weight of less than 20 pounds and add about 8 pounds for a guitar. I'm not taking the extra guitar in the future. Less than 30 pounds each, so very easy to transport. The bags have 3 side pockets for smaller items. 20230415_080606.thumb.jpg.a9d04a742ca3f93425a008036c7fbfd6.jpg

• Like 5

Jennifer S.

• Like 3

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.