Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PRS SE Acoustic

I have a new friend who has one of these wondrous instruments. She had taken a 40 year hiatus from playing, and found the strings painful to play for more than a few minutes at a time while struggling to regain her chops and calluses. Being the light string freak that I am, I convinced her to try a very light set on this guitar. I use D'Addario acoustic 9's on my acoustics.(Go ahead and groan. I can't hear you.) She now can play for hours, and is loving it.

Getting back to the guitar, I was blown away by the quality, fit, and finish of it. I have never played a nicer off-shore acoustic. This thing was under a grand and surpasses almost anything at any price. The tone and playability are exquisite. The craftsmanship is amazing. I have never owned a PRS, as money and opportunity have never quite aligned. I had always thought of PRS as a builder of very fine solid and semi-acoustic electrics, and would never have given their recent line of acoustics a second glance. This was an epiphany for me. While ANY wood acoustic is not currently on my radar, I would jump at the chance to grab one if my yen for more carbon fibre guitars hadn't removed most conventional guitars from my bucket list.

As for the 9's, they sound great and lend a playability that just can't be matched by heavier strings. I'm always a lead player regardless of what is strapped on. Because of this preference, I have no calluses after 55 years and millions of notes.

This guitar is a worthy contender for anyone seeking a great guitar at modest price. I predict that these guitars will command a big share of the acoustic market once they are better known. I would now be intrigued to see if PRS tried to tap into the arch top market. I have no doubt they could be a success.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I use light strings too. 10-47 I think, D'Addario also. And I play carbon fiber guitars, Rainsong 6 and 12 string. 

Today I worked on an Epiphone AJ that I want to use for gigs where I may allow others to play my guitar. I put 12-56 on it with the intention of tuning down to D. 

Not real happy with it yet, still too heavy gauge. I like the idea of having a "beater", there is a time and a place for it. The carbon fiber tone will spoil you though!

I'd have to drive quite a distance to find PRS guitars, small town with one of the smallest Guitar Centers and not much else around. I wouldn't be looking for anything right now anyway. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The light gauge thing has been what kept me playing Acoustic , tried a Frank Gambale Cort with 10 14 18(unwound) 30 39 47. I have tried the PRS acoustics SE's and wow they are great. Quality is very high and tone for days. 

Lok

• Like 2

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

10 hours ago, Bluesape said:

Being the light string freak that I am, I convinced her to try a very light set on this guitar. I use D'Addario acoustic 9's on my acoustics.(Go ahead and groan. I can't hear you.)

No groaning from me! While I have my own preferences for strings and gauges and all, I firmly believe that what works for someone, WORKS, and that's fine. (I also recognize that MOST people will NOT like the gauges that I like!) I don't know the specifics, but the great, very talented Trevor Rabin must string his acoustics with some particularly light gauges!

It does amuse me realizing that you string your acoustics with 9's and I string my electrics with 11's! You don't even wanna know what I string acoustics and hollowbody Jazzboxes with... :D 

10 hours ago, Bluesape said:

She now can play for hours, and is loving it.

THAT'S what's important here and I'm glad to read it!

Now, I have not tried any PRS SE Acoustics, OR any carbon fiber acoustics, yet, but I would definitely like to.

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

23 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

No groaning from me! While I have my own preferences for strings and gauges and all, I firmly believe that what works for someone, WORKS, and that's fine. (I also recognize that MOST people will NOT like the gauges that I like!) I don't know the specifics, but the great, very talented Trevor Rabin must string his acoustics with some particularly light gauges!

It does amuse me realizing that you string your acoustics with 9's and I string my electrics with 11's! You don't even wanna know what I string acoustics and hollowbody Jazzboxes with... :D 

THAT'S what's important here and I'm glad to read it!

Now, I have not tried any PRS SE Acoustics, OR any carbon fiber acoustics, yet, but I would definitely like to.

If you can find a Rainsong or Emerald in your area, play it. Then, you will have to buy one!!!! 

Not only do they have a fuller frequency response, they are also unaffected by humidity and temperature changes that affect wood guitars in various ways. 

I've owned both and always reach for my Rainsong guitars now. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

If you can find a Rainsong or Emerald in your area, play it. Then, you will have to buy one!!!! 

Not only do they have a fuller frequency response, they are also unaffected by humidity and temperature changes that affect wood guitars in various ways. 

I've owned both and always reach for my Rainsong guitars now. 

I would really like to! (Same goes for the PRS SE Acousics that Reif cites above in the original topic that we're veering from as we nearly always do in this pub... 😉)

For a point of reference, I am absolutely in love with the tone and 'different' character of cedar topped steel-string flat-top acoustic guitars. And in general, I favor the tone of Gibson and similar acoustics to Martin and others. Many Taylors sound a bit 'hi-fi' to me, when I play them.

I could really, REALLY appreciate the reliable stability! When discussing just how often I and others have had to readjust the truss-rods in our favorite guitars, shocked by my answer, Scott Fraser asked me "Do you live in the Red Spot on Jupiter?!" :D The struggle is real and the battle rages on...  :thu: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I would really like to! (Same goes for the PRS SE Acousics that Reif cites above in the original topic that we're veering from as we nearly always do in this pub... 😉)

For a point of reference, I am absolutely in love with the tone and 'different' character of cedar topped steel-string flat-top acoustic guitars. And in general, I favor the tone of Gibson and similar acoustics to Martin and others. Many Taylors sound a bit 'hi-fi' to me, when I play them.

I could really, REALLY appreciate the reliable stability! When discussing just how often I and others have had to readjust the truss-rods in our favorite guitars, shocked by my answer, Scott Fraser asked me "Do you live in the Red Spot on Jupiter?!" :D The struggle is real and the battle rages on...  :thu: 

Neither of my Rainsongs has a truss rod. Neither has changed at all in the years after I set them up. A 12 string that is completely stable tuned to standard pitch is a rare bird indeed. As to the fidelity, if you like cedar tops on steel strings you will probably hate the tone of carbon fiber. I figure I can always use flat wounds if I want that dull, yet lifeless "tone". 😇😂

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I figure I can always use flat wounds if I want that dull, yet lifeless "tone". 😇😂

Nothing dull or lifeless about my cedar-topped old Alvarez-Yairi! Not at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Nothing dull or lifeless about my cedar-topped old Alvarez-Yairi! Not at all.

Just taking a poke for shits and giggles. The Yairi guitars are really nice stuff. 

There was a Yairi on Craigslist yesterday, it's gone now. Was $600, had been used but gorgeous woods and probably sounded amazing. Looked like a spruce top dreadnaught to me, somebody is strumming and smiling right now. 

Still, the carbon fiber stuff is in another realm of frequency response. The highs are smooth but brilliant and quite a bit farther up into the sweet spot than most wooden guitars. Bellingham is about 90 minutes away from Woodenville, where the Rainsongs are made. So they do pop up now and then around here. Not sure about your neck of the woods but keep an eye out and move fast!

• Like 2

@KuruPrionz If you want to get rid of that "dull, yet lifeless 'tone" of regular flat wounds, give Magma "Flats" a try.  They are much brighter than regular flat wound strings.  They are a round wound string polished down to smooth.  I use the 10-46's on my electrics and the 10-48's on my acoustics (nice and bright).  They have absolutely no finger squeak (which really drives me nuts on acoustics).  I prefer cedar tops on steel strings and on my nylon strings.  But spruce is also nice, especially on my archtops. I wouldn't mind trying one of those carbon fiber acoustics some day... 😎

@Bluesape I'm glad to hear your friend is getting more play time out of her PRS SE Acoustic guitar running 9's. They are a bit too light for me on both electrics and acoustics but they do bend easier...😎

@Caevan O’Shite I don't think we have strayed very far OT from the OP's post...I have never tried a PRS acoustic guitar, but I would give one a try some day...+1 I've never been into Martin acoustics for some reason even though they have always made great sounding quality acoustic guitars...😎

• Like 1
Take care, Larryz

8 minutes ago, Larryz said:

@KuruPrionz If you want to get rid of that "dull, yet lifeless 'tone" of regular flat wounds, give Magma "Flats" a try.  They are much brighter than regular flat wound strings.  They are a round wound string polished down to smooth.  I use the 10-46's on my electrics and the 10-48's on my acoustics (nice and bright).  They have absolutely no finger squeak (which really drives me nuts on acoustics).  I prefer cedar tops on steel strings and on my nylon strings.  But spruce is also nice, especially on my archtops. I wouldn't mind trying one of those carbon fiber acoustics some day... 😎

@Bluesape I'm glad to hear your friend is getting more play time out of her PRS SE Acoustic guitar running 9's. They are a bit too light for me on both electrics and acoustics but they do bend easier...😎

@Caevan O’Shite I don't think we have strayed very far OT from the OP's post...I have never tried a PRS acoustic guitar, but I would give one a try some day...+1 I've never been into Martin acoustics for some reason even though they have always made great sounding quality acoustic guitars...😎

Thanks Larryz, I almost never consider any flat wounds on any of my guitars. I do use the D'Addario Chromes on my basses, they are the brightest true flat wounds I've tried. 

And, I've found that the coated D'Addario acoustic strings reduce the finger squeak a good bit, plus I've been working on lifting my fingers and placing them rather than sliding, that cures finger squeak too. 

As for Martin guitars, they've made MANY different styles and as is often the case with wooden guitars every one is different. I'm not a fan of their dreadnaughts or for that matter most large bodies guitars - too boomy. I've played some great Martins with smaller bodies, including a couple with a mahogany top. 

My Rainsong 6 string is an OM 1000, a smaller body with a cutaway. It sounds huge! I took the original under saddle pickup out, put in a full sized saddle and the improvement in tone was amazing. Then I installed a K&K Pro Mini system with no preamp and people just stare in disbelief when I plug in at an open mic night. It really sounds beautiful. 

• Like 1

@KuruPrionz +1 on lifting fingers instead of sliding to reduce finger squeak.  I learned that concept when I first started playing on nylon string guitars.  Then I found D'Addario "polished" wound string sets for recording and reducing string squeak on the silver wrapped wound strings.  I still lift my fingers LoL!  I always hoped they would come out with polished strings for acoustics to do the same thing and Magma did it!  You could always reduce squeak on electrics with flat wounds, but I agree, they were a little too dull.  Then Magma came out with a polished set for electrics in almost the same gauges for both my acoustic and electrics.  They are much brighter than regular flat wounds.  My only negative comment on Magmas, is the 1st and 2nd strings wear out quicker and rust quickly. So, I order singles of Elixir 1st and 2nd rust prevention alloy strings from JustStrings.com for a couple of bucks. 😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

1 hour ago, Larryz said:

So, I order singles of Elixir 1st and 2nd rust prevention alloy strings from JustStrings.com for a couple of bucks. 😎

Thanks, I want get some 1st and 2nd string singles, not the cheap, no name brand from Amazon. 

I like the looks of those PRS SE's. Nice price also. I had looked at the SE electrics at one time, but decided not spend at that time. An acoustic could be in the distant future for me.

• Like 3
Jenny S.

1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

Thanks, I want get some 1st and 2nd string singles, not the cheap, no name brand from Amazon. 

I like the looks of those PRS SE's. Nice price also. I had looked at the SE electrics at one time, but decided not spend at that time. An acoustic could be in the distant future for me.

Every guitarist should have a nice acoustic guitar. It keeps you honest! Truly, it will make you a better guitarist overall. 

• Like 3

Paul Reed Smith has actually been known for their boutique acoustic guitars. Alex Lifeson of Rush has played PRS since the late Eighties, and has his own signature model.

image.thumb.png.b2ac804d8dae0f3ecdec335ed1d5175b.png

I believe that Paul Jackson Jr. and Vernon Reid of Living Colour have also played PRS Guitars.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how many PRS SE Acoustic models there are, but I got a bargain on the Tonare 14-Fret Parlor model last year as apparently the pink color didn't go over well -- whereas I thought that was the most awesome and appropriate color possible as it makes it look "country". This was SUPPOSED to become my Nashville Tuning guitar, but I liked it so well that I kept it in regular tuning and then bought the Taylor GS Mini for the Nashville Tuning experiment.

For the Tonare, I am using Martin MLJ13's, which are monel nickel strings (you can go a bit heavier with monels and not hurt your fingers playing). This is the Laurence Juber special set, whose gauges I like a bit better than the standard Martin monels.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager