Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great Jon Anderson Interview

HammondDave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

A lot of Anderson's responses were pretty loopy, almost as though he was stoned out of his mind: Everything's beautiful. Everything's wonderful. Oh, look at that pretty bird! My favorite dog just died, but it's all cool. I saw him in a dream and he was happy.

Sometimes he didn't even address the interviewer's question at all.

Amongst all the trippy talk, I got the sense that he's okay with reuniting with Howe, but Howe doesn't want anything to do with him. I don't recall hearing what the problem is...haven't searched to find out. It would be useful to see where Wakeman stands. I think I saw something not too long ago that led me to believe that he's mad at Howe, but I can't remember where I saw it. Again, no particulars, just a generic mad rather than specifics. I feel that Jon Davison does a very good job with the vocals and don't know that--sonically--I much care whether Anderson or Davison does the singing, but I'd love to see Howe and Wakeman together again, doing new music. Downes just doesn't cut it in my book.

Will it ever happen? I'm not betting on it.

Grey

• Like 1

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

5 hours ago, GRollins said:

A lot of Anderson's responses were pretty loopy, almost as though he was stoned out of his mind: Everything's beautiful. Everything's wonderful. Oh, look at that pretty bird! My favorite dog just died, but it's all cool. I saw him in a dream and he was happy.

Sometimes he didn't even address the interviewer's question at all.

Amongst all the trippy talk, I got the sense that he's okay with reuniting with Howe, but Howe doesn't want anything to do with him. I don't recall hearing what the problem is...haven't searched to find out. It would be useful to see where Wakeman stands. I think I saw something not too long ago that led me to believe that he's mad at Howe, but I can't remember where I saw it. Again, no particulars, just a generic mad rather than specifics. I feel that Jon Davison does a very good job with the vocals and don't know that--sonically--I much care whether Anderson or Davison does the singing, but I'd love to see Howe and Wakeman together again, doing new music. Downes just doesn't cut it in my book.

Will it ever happen? I'm not betting on it.

Grey

“Jon Davidson”?  “Jon Anderson”?  What a strange coincidence!!!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Par for the course. :-)

I got the sense that he's okay with reuniting with Howe, but Howe doesn't want anything to do with him. I don't recall hearing what the problem is...

Yeah, I've never seen any report of a particular issue or incident. But if nothing else, as it is, Howe would appear to be the undisputed leader of his band, so what he says goes. That's probably a more satisfying situation for him then having to answer to someone else in the band who is at least equal in power.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah, there is a strange dynamic there.  Jon Anderson is very spiritual, and enjoys performing.  Also, watching Rick Wakeman's HOF speech makes it obvious what a curmudgeon Howe is.  He is stoned face and sour during Rick's blue humor... and Jon is smiling and laughing.  That's then cat I want to hang with!

I really like the fact that he hired the Geeks after watching their YouTube videos.  You must admit, they are impressive. I am not a fan of the promo video that features Jon with the Geeks.  It feels very "manufactured"... almost like a parody. But it's great that he is giving them a chance. I wish them all the best. 

For those who think than Jon Anderson is a space cadet... Watch this excellent Beatto interview. I think that we can all relate to this.

1 hour ago, HammondDave said:

...watching Rick Wakeman's HOF speech...

Rick really rocks!  He was cracking jokes and telling funny stories when I saw him at the opening night of his 2022 U.S. Tour in NH.  In addition to his awesome playing, his personality and connection with his fans made for a very enjoyable evening!

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I dunno, I was kind of miffed at Rick’s HOF speech. The speech itself was perfect and funny as hell. However, Chris’s recent widow was standing there the whole time prepared to make a memorial statement, and Rick used up all her time telling dick jokes. I thought that was in poor taste. So I don’t blame Howe for being pissed.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

On 4/4/2023 at 10:42 AM, EricBarker said:

I dunno, I was kind of miffed at Rick’s HOF speech. The speech itself was perfect and funny as hell. However, Chris’s recent widow was standing there the whole time prepared to make a memorial statement, and Rick used up all her time telling dick jokes. I thought that was in poor taste. So I don’t blame Howe for being pissed.

I assume she made her speech and the producers cut it out of the show. From what I hear Howe is a total jerk. Just listen to him gloating at the end of his speech about his Yes tribute band and naming his musicians… with the real Yes musicians just behind him.  If he truly wanted to “celebrate the music of Yes”, he would drop the imposter and welcome Jon back into the band. 

On 4/4/2023 at 10:18 AM, HammondDave said:

Yeah, there is a strange dynamic there.  Jon Anderson is very spiritual, and enjoys performing.  Also, watching Rick Wakeman's HOF speech makes it obvious what a curmudgeon Howe is.  He is stoned face and sour during Rick's blue humor... and Jon is smiling and laughing.  That's then cat I want to hang with!

I really like the fact that he hired the Geeks after watching their YouTube videos.  You must admit, they are impressive. I am not a fan of the promo video that features Jon with the Geeks.  It feels very "manufactured"... almost like a parody. But it's great that he is giving them a chance. I wish them all the best. 

That was ridiculously funny!!     I couldn't stop laughing at Rick masterfully pointing out by his jokes that the R&F HOF is a irrelevant farce.

The audience roaring with delight was a great demonstration of implicit approval that they agree (but would never admit).  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

41 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

I assume she made her speech and the producers cut it out of the show.

Yes, you can hear Rick Wakeman introduce Squire's wife at the end of his speech.   But the media/producers cut it out, assuming they let her speak.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Yes, you can hear Rick Wakeman introduce Squire's wife at the end of his speech.   But the media/producers cut it out, assuming they let her speak.

Ahhhh! It's been a while, but the way it was edited, it looked like the music came up and the shoed them off. That really changes things. At the time, a lot of people made comments about how he ate into her time, but it sounds like that's not what happened. I'm glad to hear it!

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?