Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rookie DI Question

The only stupid question is the question you don't ask. So, I'm asking for some guidance. 

I have a TASCAM 16x8 DI. It has 8 balanced mic inputs (w/Phantom), and 2 inputs that are Line/Mic switchable. Each input has a pad. There are also 4 "Line ins" available, but are fixed input level. 

I have a Fender amp. The amp has a "preamp out" and a "power amp in". There may be a pedal board involved.

What I want to do is:

1. take ONE electric guitar, plug it in directly to the DI, AND simultaneously plug it into the Fender and put a mic on it. For a total of 2 tracks, but one input. 

2. The purpose it to have a "clean" track, and one "dirty track"

3. There are also 3 "acoustic" guitars with pickups that I want to do the same thing with as the electrics. 

Is there a way that I can do this without buying anymore gear/boxes? 

What?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having tried many evil experiments over the years, one thing I've learned is to start with EVERYTHING turned all the way down. 

Turn the guitar all the way down. Turn the mixer channels that you are using AND the master volume all the way down.

Turn the preamp and output amp volumes on your guitar amp all the way down. 

Plug everything in, turn the guitar amp on last (and off first). Always do that with what ever is connected to the speaker, your ears will thank you. 

Then, slowly start turning up each component. Start at the back with the amplifier and work your way towards the guitar. 

If nothing goes wrong then you'll get safely to the volume you want. 

If things start getting crazy, consider the last knob you touched and how it changed things. 

That may not answer your question (although it might), but it's been a safe way to experiment for me.

And yes, I did learn the hard way. You won't like that! 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

From the product page:

2 of the 8 line inputs offer switchable instrument-level more for direct bass and guitar recording  

So you are covered with two direct instrument in’s. 

However if I am reading you correctly, yes you will need a traditional direct box (one for each simultaneous instrument that you are recording this way) if you want to split your signal to the input and amp simultaneously. 

You may also want to consider a Reamp device to send the signal back out to an amp at a later date. 

This would be my choice in your scenario. 

Reamp Station

Here is my full review which explains it better. 

RECORDING Review

Editor - RECORDING Magazine