Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need HELP with Linux. UP DATE!!!!!

OK, I re-installed the Fedora Core th is morning. I actually did have the boot loader on hda, not hdb1 like I suspected. Anyway it boots fine in Windows 2000 with this install so I'm wondering if there wasn't a glitch in the update install. I'll go over to Linux in a bit and fire it up so I can check that out.

I appreciate it.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure on this Dak, maybe Pheaton will pop on, but it sounds liek the Linux boot partition is gone, or mis directed, and it is not rolling to the Windows partition. Can you opint it to the Windows partition vie the BIOS startup menu?

If not, the Windows repair boot is an option.

Maybe try booting from floppy and seeing what you hard drive shows?

Yeah, I'm hoping Phaeton or one of the other Linux gurus to weight in. Thinking about it, I may have put the Grub loader on the wrong drive. I've always put it on hda1. This time I put it on hdb1, where Linux is installed.

Essentially, I have windows 2000 on the main drive. The second drive is partitioned to a Linux partition, hdb1, a fat 32 partition, hdb2 and a swap partition, hdb3.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Dak-

Can you still boot linux?

and

Can you point your BIOS to boot the first drive (windows) instead of the second drive? If so, and if it starts Windows, then this is good news.

This would mean that windows is OK and it's just a matter of GRUB not being `pointed' to the right place, most likely.

If you tell the BIOS to boot the first drive, and you still see the GRUB bootloader coming up, then it's probably a matter of the GRUB on the first drive (from the prev. installation) getting in the way of the GRUB from the second drive (current installation) from finding the boot blocks in the MBR for Windows.

If that's the case, then we might be lucky enough to be able to boot off a windows rescue disk, and rewrite the MBR on the first drive.

Lemme know what j00 find out ;)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

Dak-

Can you still boot linux?

and

Can you point your BIOS to boot the first drive (windows) instead of the second drive? If so, and if it starts Windows, then this is good news.

This would mean that windows is OK and it's just a matter of GRUB not being `pointed' to the right place, most likely.

If you tell the BIOS to boot the first drive, and you still see the GRUB bootloader coming up, then it's probably a matter of the GRUB on the first drive (from the prev. installation) getting in the way of the GRUB from the second drive (current installation) from finding the boot blocks in the MBR for Windows.

If that's the case, then we might be lucky enough to be able to boot off a windows rescue disk, and rewrite the MBR on the first drive.

Lemme know what j00 find out ;)

Linux boots just fine. I have the bios set to boot cdrom and then the C drive which is, on to, Linux, hda. I have Linux installed on hdb1 and that's where I had it install the grub installer this time. I think I spaced out. Should I do a re-install of Linux?

Our Joint

Originally posted by daklander:

OK, I re-installed the Fedora Core th is morning. I actually did have the boot loader on hda, not hdb1 like I suspected. Anyway it boots fine in Windows 2000 with this install so I'm wondering if there wasn't a glitch in the update install. I'll go over to Linux in a bit and fire it up so I can check that out.

I appreciate it.

Both OS's are now funtioning as they are supposed to and the boot loader is working correctly, even after the full update installation. It had to have been an update glitch, 'cause I'd booted both OS's before updating. Funny how that could have slipped my mind before. They do say the first thing that goes is the memory...

Anyway, Thanks for the input.

Of all the Linux distros I've tried, I like this Fedora Core the best. Fewer changes, for one, to get it looking like I want it to.

I'll be begging for help in how to's involving new programs. As an example, I'm a Firefox browser fan and I normally like and use Thunderbird mail and I'd like to get those installed and on the taskbar. I do like the email that comes with Fedora. Something like Ximian??? Anyway pretty nice program.

Oh, one main thing. How do I go about mounting the hdb2, fat32 formatted drive? I understand I won't have much luck accessing files on the NTSF hda drive.

Our Joint

Archived