Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My next concert: rig selection question

Well, next Saturday (25th March) is the date for my third concert with my rock/ pop band. We had two concerts back in July 2022, but then the singer left, and we have been working with our new one for some months and finally are ready for the big moment 🥳

Well, I took my Montage 6 on those first concerts but used a Casio CTX-5000 on rehearsals, because its light weight. It was not an ideal situation, though. So for Christmas I bought a MODX6+ to use it on rehearsals. It is very convenient to be able to save the user file on any of them an load on the other. So I have exactly the same configuration and "version" on both easily 👍🏻

But the question is that, on next concert, I need to carry several bags of material for my rig: keyboard, Spider Pro stand, Behringer monitor, support for the monitor, pedal board, cables, iPad and such. I have developed a condition on my left arm, which is not too bad, but it prevents to deal with too much weight. So I am sorely tempted to take the MODX instead of the Montage to the concert. I prefer quite a lot the keybed on the Montage but I can play the MODX one and, as my playing is not too elaborate, it is perfectly workable.

Would you recommend me against using the MODX on this situation?. I don't use aftertouch usually, if that is concerning you.

Thanks for any comments on this!

Jose

How are you finding the MODX at rehearsals? If you can cope, then you have an answer. If not, perhaps a wheeled case for the Montage?

Also, look at removing weight from other parts of your rig. The Spider stand isn't the lightest - K&M's 18880 is a super-light alternative. Also, have you tried in-ear monitors to save shlepping the monitor and its stand?

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

How are you finding the MODX at rehearsals? If you can cope, then you have an answer. If not, perhaps a wheeled case for the Montage?

Also, look at removing weight from other parts of your rig. The Spider stand isn't the lightest - K&M's 18880 is a super-light alternative. Also, have you tried in-ear monitors to save shlepping the monitor and its stand?

Cheers, Mike.

Well, the MODX+ has done well on the rehearsals, not as nice to play as the MONTAGE, but good enough.

The problem is that I don't have enough time to change things for the upcoming gig (i.e. buying new suitable gear, adapt my custom-made pedalboard, find a way to place the iPad and such), but can think on lighter options for next ones, thanks for the hints. I love the Spider Pro way to attach the iPad support, BTW. The in-ear is a possibility, but have never used one, so I need some time to get one and get used to it. I don't want to modify too many things for this next gig, remember is only my third one, I will be nervous enough to get into last-hour changes! 😅

Jose

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

Nothing is ever ideal.  It's only a gig. Bring the Casio. Your arm will thank you.

Well, the MODX+ is very similar in weight. If you are thinking also that the CTX-5000 has also speakers, so I won't need the monitor, that could make really a difference. But I have all patches setup on the MODX+/MONTAGE ecosystem and on the CTX-5000 the sound is also worse in general... I think I will do my best to take at least the MODX+ this time.

Jose

I stopped taking a weighted 88 keyboard to my 80’s band’s gigs a couple of years ago because I just couldn’t be bothered lugging it around and setting up two keyboards.

I definitely miss the weighted action but not the hassle of transporting it.  I also guarantee you the audience doesn’t care.  For me, the compromise was worth it.

• Like 3

Bring what brings you joy, but get some help carrying it.   As in paid help.  When I had hip surgery, rather than miss gigs, I paid an intern from a friend's studio who wanted to learn more about gigging world.

Last year my drummer had a groin injury and  did same thing for  month or so,  as well getting his son to help.    No shame.   If you're playing a concert venue, more than likely there'll be stage hands available -  say yes, and ask bandmates too.   Most important use carts with wheels.  I do lots of theater venues, and unless it's a union place, most crew folks are usually happy to help.  

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

This is why God created wheels. 

I have a nice folding dolly, places like Lowes or Home Depot should have them. Probably about $60 or so but worth every penny. 

I roll as much as I can, which is almost everything. Guitar gig bags with backpack straps get carried, that's pretty much it. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks for your input. I have some luggage carrying foldable cart, it could be the answer to my ailing arm 👍🏻

About a helping hand, it is unfortunate that both my daughter and son can't attend the concert next weekend, but will try to get some help from other people.

BTW I am going to have an RX on my arm today, let's see what it shows 💪🏻

Jose

2 hours ago, EB5AGV said:

Thanks for your input. I have some luggage carrying foldable cart, it could be the answer to my ailing arm 👍🏻

About a helping hand, it is unfortunate that both my daughter and son can't attend the concert next weekend, but will try to get some help from other people.

BTW I am going to have an RX on my arm today, let's see what it shows 💪🏻

Jose

Good luck Jose - the KC crowd will be cheering you on.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, just a last minute update on this, as the gig is today! 😅

I have been polishing my presets playing on my rig setup at home and on last rehearsal, using the MODX+ during all this week. Yes, it is feasible to use it live. But then, I moved the presets to the Montage and, boy, what a keybed difference! 🤯

So the decision is made. I will take the Montage to the stage today 🎹🤩💪🏻

Wish me luck 🫂

Jose

On 3/19/2023 at 7:56 PM, timwat said:

gigging 14 lbs. vs. 33 lbs. indeed makes a difference in the schlep.

Related, this is a perpetual debate I have with myself. I usually have two boards, and my preferred action piano board is a Casio 88 at 26.4 lbs, and I vacillate between taking that, vs. the 19.4 lb 76-key Kurzweil whose action I still like (though also trading off the shallow depth), or even the 10.36 lb 61-key Casio CT-S500 which may be "good enough"... and now, depending on how I feel after playing its action, I can see myself being very tempted to get the new 28.88 lb CK88

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

10 minutes ago, EB5AGV said:

The gig went pretty smoothly 

Good to hear.

You should reward yourself with a stand that's better suited to a single-board seated gig - that Spider looks too tall in context. It would save you some weight as well.

Cheers, Mike.

43 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Good to hear.

You should reward yourself with a stand that's better suited to a single-board seated gig - that Spider looks too tall in context. It would save you some weight as well.

Cheers, Mike.

Well, my idea is to grow on it. I mean, when my playing ability deserves it, I will add a second tier (I have even an extra one if want to go three levels, but that would be too much!)

So, for the time being, I will keep using it even if, yes, is pretty large. One positive thing is that he iPad support is really awesome and it will also work with another keyboard stacked, as there is space to go higher. I have plenty of controllers to suit that extra level, "just" need to improve my playing 😬

Jose

PS: from the crowd POV, it was not so bad, I think:

IMG-20230325-WA0015.thumb.jpg.80cb32ff6a840ca7a52f1c13a58b37aa.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:
9 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

I can see myself being very tempted to get the new 28.88 lb CK88

Please for a 25lb CK73 with the action from the P121/CP73/YC73?

CK88 would be basically the action from the P121 (GHS). Yeah, I'd prefer to shave that bit of size and weight off if it. But I might even prefer and even lighter CK73/76 with the CK61 action. Hard to be sure until I get my fingers on that action. But in theory, that could be down around 15 lbs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)