Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steve Lukather Interview with Rick Beato

Another fantastic long-form interview from Beato. The story that Lukather tells about how Lee Ritenour saved his career is worth the price of admission. It starts around 8:00. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Lukather's book made me love him even more. Dude has some stories. The guy is probably one of my favourite guitarists of all time, though he seems to fly under the radar of a lot of my guitarist buddies, which is a damn shame. Watching the Beato vid now.

One thing that made me laugh in the book was how he made it sound like every single person LA is his "good friend". Maybe they are...

• Like 2

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

As a musician Lukather has great range, doesnt sound like he is repeating himself unless it is deliberate studio quote from a song he is doing. He can be the most melodic and shred but he plays with a lot of heart. I loved his book. I started to watch the Beato interview when it was posted but I thought it was a rough start. Luke seemed to be jumping in fast and ahead of Beato's lead. I will give it another shot. Luke comes off as likable. His heavy drinking could have alienated him but he is resilient and has a sense of humor that does not seem to go against everyone's grain although he has upset a few people. He may have lots of friends especially given his track record working with famous artists and their hits. You would want to be his friend for a variety of reasons especially if you are in that business. I don't doubt his descriptions but I read those as his opportunity to say "I'm your friend, my dear friends, (IOW we're friends) I never meant to be less if I ever did anything to make you think otherwise." 

Funny I was just telling  a Luke story to a friend.   When I worked at the music school we had a guitar program and would have name guitarist come in to talk to the class.   Now this was back when Toto was really big and Rosanna was a huge hit and the original Magnum PI was the popular TV show and he drove that Ferrari.  Well Luke shows up and we have few parking spaces in the building the show was in and Luke parks his brand new Ferrari there.    Luke's clinic is done and one of the guitar teacher had to leave and comes back up to  the clinic room to talk to Luke.   The teacher is panicked and tell Luke I was backing my Jeep out and I hit your Ferrari.   So everyone goes down to the parking lot and teacher is like my life is over Lukather is going to kill me.     

Lukather looks at it says no big deal, our insurance companies will figure it out and he's being super cool about the whole thing.   I'm with the school manager and we say to Luke man new Ferrari and getting hit.   Luke says doesn't matter what it cost it's still just a car,  if someone gets all uptight about a little fender bender then they really can't afford that car.   I thought Luke's attitude about the thing was so cool.   A few days later when the teacher was back in again we asked him how it go with Luke and he said he can get it repaired cheaper not going through insurance and gave me a cost and told me I could just pay him a little monthly.    Now I even more impressed with how cool and down to earth Lukather is. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, nadroj said:

Lukather's book made me love him even more. Dude has some stories. The guy is probably one of my favourite guitarists of all time, though he seems to fly under the radar of a lot of my guitarist buddies, which is a damn shame. Watching the Beato vid now.

One thing that made me laugh in the book was how he made it sound like every single person LA is his "good friend". Maybe they are...

Yep when I listened to the audio book version (that Luke narrated) I remember thinking the same thing - surely he can't have that many friends :D