Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Updating "buyer's guides" is a PITA

Here's a view from the other side of the fence.

Every time you get one of those "Guitar Buyer's Guide" or "Studio Buyer's Guide" issues put out by magazines like Guitar Player, EQ and so on, keep in mind...

- Some poor schmoe (like me) spends tons of time going through each product listing for their respective companies to make sure the product description and pricing is accurate. There are often ten or more fields to fill out for each product, and a guy like me may have dozens of products to fact check.

- Some much sorrier schmoe at the magazine has the job of going through each of the hundreds of listings and trying to weed out the "marketing hype" and possible inaccuracies that are input by the manufacturer. And inevitably, someone misses the dealine or forgets to update last year's info and raises a big stink about it (even if it's their own damn fault).

Anyway, I've had a much higher degree of appreciation when I read these things since I started seeing what effort goes in to make them. One word: giant pain in the ass. I know that's five words, but it should be one. Giantpainintheass. There.

- Jeff

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

...Giantpainintheass..

- Jeff[/QB]

Whining Weasels.

MusicPlayer's buyer's guide, in particular, doesn't even have a category appropriate for many of my company's products.

I do appreciate, and take advantage of, any and all opportunities for FREE MARKETING.

Buyers guides are usually so far behind that I dont bother to look through them. And if a Berringer and a Mackie mixer has the same specs what help is a buyers guide in choosing between the two?

I do remember one coming out a few years ago that also had articles on building home studios. There were 3 price levels for the home studios, and hardware and software based versions for a total of 6. These 6 studios were assigned to six different writers and they each put together a home studio package in their given guideline. It was a nice tie in and you could read a recommendation, then compare it to other products in the same price range.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Jeff I'm sorry you didn't get that gig at the symphony orchestra - Stop whining!. :D

What you do now is your profession of choice and they pay you to do it.

But I know what you are talking about, I used to publish a music directory. Hard work, not much appreciation. But it pays for food and shelter...

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

But it pays for food and shelter...

You got food and shelter?!?!? That's it, I'm asking for a raise.

Me (to myself): Can I have a raise?

Me (in reply): Shut up and get back to work, you slacking bastard!

Oh well, I tried.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

But it pays for food and shelter...

You got food and shelter?!?!? That's it, I'm asking for a raise.

Me (to myself): Can I have a raise?

Me (in reply): Shut up and get back to work, you slacking bastard!

Oh well, I tried.

- Jeff

It must be tough working for a weasel. I bet he keeps all the money and tells you not to cash your paycheck for a few days. :cool:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I got food and shelter but if I don't get to post more invoices really soon, I'll be getting worried.

Financially, this summer has been a total disaster... :cry:

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by gmstudio99:

Would it help if we told you that no one reads those things anyway?

I'm either pretending I didn't read that, or I'm flinging myself off a bridge. :freak:

- jeff

Don't feel bad Weasel...we print millions of grocery circulars which usually wind up lining the bird cage :rolleyes:
Lynn G

Archived