Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In Search Of Aftertouch

I'm looking for recommendation for a 61 key, synth-action rompler keyboard with aftertouch (around 30 lbs. or less).   I need both decent synth sounds and things like vibes, flutes, brass, etc.

I've looked at Montage 6 -- but I'd prefer a keyboard that's less expensive and not as deep (it's 16 inches deep), in order to fit on my stand as a top keyboard.  I used to have a Kronos 61, but they seem to be in short supply and high priced.

I don't see any new keyboards that would work for me.   Are there older keyboards that I could consider?   

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

Once again I play my Alesis QS recommendation card, in this case QS6.1 or 6.2. The 61-key is 18.5lb, compact and has plenty of the kind of "orchestral" sounds you mention, plus synth sounds (although they're rompler-based, not VA). OK it's not cutting-edge 2023-era synthesis, but it's well built, and has aftertouch and a premium-feel action. Fairly readily available secondhand, if you're prepared to wait a few weeks for one to emerge near you.

If the sounds aren't up to scratch, add something running on an iPad, perhaps? 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

The Alesis QS has the added benefit of Release Velocity which can be very expressive and is not often found on other keyboards these days. Release Velocity allows you to vary the sustain of a sound by how quickly a note is let off. A quick let off will sharply cut off the sound and a slow let off will produce a longer sustain.

• Like 2

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

I also recommend the QS synths.  lightweight when compared to the Montage or Fantom 6, nice keybeds w/ aftertouch, and well-built.

• Like 3

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I owned a Alesis QS8 in the late 90's.  I listened to a few YouTube videos to refresh my memory and don't think the sounds will be what I'm looking for.

jeffinpghpa,

I'm considering the Juno X  (didn't realize it had the XV-5080 sounds) , but may wait until after NAMM to see if something else comes out.  

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

Roland Fantom 6 could be a possibility, if you want to trade-off the synth-specific control surface of the Juno X for more total flexibility.

But also, if you're not totally averse to 76 keys, a Kurzweil PC4-7 is awfully easy to travel with, at under 20 lbs, and with a "wheels on top" layout that makes it not as much wider than the 61 Rolands you might have thought.

As for used 61s, the Yamaha S30 and Korg TR61 come to mind.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

Roland Fantom 6 could be a possibility, if you want to trade-off the synth-specific control surface of the Juno X for more total flexibility.

But also, if you're not totally averse to 76 keys, a Kurzweil PC4-7 is awfully easy to travel with, at under 20 lbs, and with a "wheels on top" layout that makes it not as much wider than the 61 Rolands you might have thought.

As for used 61s, the Yamaha S30 and Korg TR61 come to mind.

Fantom 6 is a little over 30 pounds and in the price range of the Montage 6, which is why I pivoted to Juno X.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Roland A800 Pro and your choice of sound module or iPad…not an all in one solution, but a modular approach that can be changed to suit your needs.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I deleted my post.  The AT implementation on both Jupiter 80 and Jupiter X have serious issues. Plus the X has gone up in price by about $500.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I missed the size need. 

The Jupiters are big synths. The JP-80 won't assign pitch to AT which is ridiculous and the JP-X requires a touch like a sledge hammer to activate AT.   

The Sledge is deep due to the control surface .. which is the best part about the Sledge. 

My Sequential stuff I really like but you also want bread and butter type sounds. 

I can't think of a good AT synth I like that meets your needs due to size requirements.  Paul may have the best solution.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Maybe a used Triton Le, TR, or Karma if you don't mind going the Korg route.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Jupiters are way over 30 pounds and presumably out of the price goal if a Montage 6 is also priced out.  Jupiter X is also about 18 inches deep.  An A800 Pro isn't a rompler, or else controllers could all be named.  Still stand by Juno-X as the one that checks all the boxes and that the others don't.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• 6 months later...
On 3/12/2023 at 3:07 AM, brenner13 said:

Fired up my old Roland Fantom X7 yesterday and was shocked how good it sounded and how well it played. They still seem to fetch a pretty decent price on the used market, though.

Yep, great sounds in there and nice sequencer. Used mine for a variety of soundtrack work. Won't be selling it; besides I added two expansion cards (orchestra and strings) and maxxed out the RAM for samples.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

If you can go with 76 keys, the price just dropped $500 to $1,495.00 for a Kurzweil PC4-7. Nice Aftertouch implementation, and that famous VAST programming and MIDI control capabilities.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 3/11/2023 at 11:07 PM, brenner13 said:

Fired up my old Roland Fantom X7 yesterday and was shocked how good it sounded and how well it played. They still seem to fetch a pretty decent price on the used market, though.

Yes, I still have mine but keep it at home. The buttons are finicky and replacement parts hard to find. Zenology covers a lot of Fantom X ground, but not all of it. Something as basic as the R&B TriLead is conspicuously absent...

The aftertouch sensitivity is better than on the current Fantom IMO, and the main reason I didn't get one.

@OP: Korg has just released the WaveState SE, which has 5 octaves with aftertouch, available directly from Korg on Reverb.

I'm waiting for the Nautilus AT to drop.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7