Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard amp/speaker rec for rock and roll

PlayItLeo

Hey folks - please forgive me as I am sure the first 10 responses are gonna be "we already covered this topic". 

I run a Roland VR-09 which I actually enjoy. 

Roland kc-80 as practice amp (don't @ me). 

Got a Yamaha DXR10 mkii a few years ago for stage use But only used it a few times a few years ago. 

New band, new gigs and the Yamaha is just crazy loud and gives me fatigue - trouble also finding a good spot on stage for it so I can hear it well without blasting me away. Seems like a mid-range honk that I'm unsure how to get rid of. 

Picked up a Spacestation SSV.3 recently but 1st gig didn't go well for some of the patches. 

So I am on the search for a 8,10 or 12 powered speaker to replace both the DXR10 And SSV. 

ANY RECS?? 

Budget is around $600. Just want 1 speaker for backline and/ or monitor so I can hear myself over 2 loud guitars. 

But also want crystal clear pianos and EP's 

Anyone want to help with real world experience? 

THANK YOU

That speaker is a pretty credible choice, competitive with QSC and perhaps better than Alto. If it's actually honky, then there's a fault.

Your Yamaha should be fine, and as you say turn the volume down. (Are you plugging in to channel 1 set to "mic", by any chance?).

You mention "mid-range honk" - how does it sound at moderate volume, playing prerecorded music, with EQ knobs flat? Have you tried adjusting the D-Contour switch?

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

My suggestion FWIW would be to consider using in ear monitoring (IEM’s). Advantages are numerous and the most important being protecting your hearing given you are in a loud Roc and Rol band like me. I made the switch and although it took a bit to get use to it it my hearing and back always thank me the next day🙂

• Like 2

Thanks Everyone.

Yes the DXR10 has a volume knob!  Most music sounds great out of it, especially my drum machine, but some of the Keyboard patches I have just seem to be too mid-rangey, maybe not a honk, unsure.  I certainly cant bring up the volume knob setting close to what others have said (which is "8", I am keeping mine like "3-4".  Plugging into a LINE IN, mono or stereo, not a MIC In.  And I have messed with the HP filter and DSP settings as well.  I think it would sound fine from a Distance, but as a Keyboard "Amp" / Monitor that is usually within 3-6 feet from me, it's a bit too directionally loud.  I will experiment with a speaker stand that I just got.  

My keyboard may also have a super hot output, and I don't have any good EQ's on my keyboard either (Roland VR-09) I just am looking for some other rec's on current Powered Speakers, but I will just keep perusing the myriad of other threads for now.  

I prob jumped the gun on starting this thread, I was just frustrated the other night and reached out to the community for some help.  Thanks

By the way I am now looking at the RCF ART 910 A or maybe an Alto TS410 (soooo cheap).  QSC K10.2 of course, but want to stay around $600 or less.

And yes will save up for a RDC TT-08 or TT-10 eventually (maybe).