Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland SH-4d

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

Yeah, probably targeted at modern types of music. Might have to research it in regards to my other thread about electronic, EDM, dark-wave 😀

The hardware is designed to enable users to get ideas down using a standalone device standalone. Especially useful when one is mobile.

Otherwise, a MIDI KB controller can be used to do any heavier lifting i.e. serious KB playing.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, stop the presses. You can play Pong on this synth?? And it'll trigger changes in the sound while you do it???

Kidding aside, this is definitely on my radar. Not top of the list by any means, but maybe by sometime next year I'll be ready to make a semi-impulsive purchase. Seems like it packs quite a lot of power into a slight form factor. I'm actually happy that the 101 and 106 models aren't full re-creations, but rather oscillator models running through the SH-4d architecture. I've already got a 106 and there are plenty of 101 clones and VSTs around if I really want the exact sound. Sequencer seems pretty powerful as well.

But seriously, it really does look like a fun instrument to explore, what with the drawing model and the bouncing/orbiting/pong stuff. Hope they sell lots and we get an expanded keyboard edition, or perhaps as mentioned, a rackable Jupiter.

Oh, and for the record, Carl Craig is 53. ;)

To draw more attention, Roland should reach out to someone like musician Anomalie to do a demo of the SH-4d.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 4 months later...

I don't get it. I'm a Roland fan. I subscribe to the cloud, have a few Roland keyboards including the Jupiter X and Jupiter Xm, along with the MC-707 and 101. When this came out I was disappointed. No good cloud integration. Not as much polyphony as my Jupiter Xm. They modeled oscillator sections of a variety of machines, but give you only one filter. There is a lot of knobs for control but still a lot of menu diving. The sequencer could be better, a LOT better. Yet, beat makers seem to love it and it keeps selling out. Places like Sweetwater and Americanmusical cannot get enough of them. What makes this machine so popular? I did see a good video with someone connecting it to a Digitakt, using the Ditakt to sequence the SH-04 and creating loops.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

1 hour ago, RABid said:

Yet, beat makers seem to love it and it keeps selling out.

What makes this machine so popular?

Creative musicians.😎

• Cool 1

PD

I've seen some folks express an interest in SH-4d because they think it will give them most of the Aira Compact series (J-6, T-8, S-1) in a single unit.   I doubt it's that simple though.  There are always compromises in the UI design when you try to combine the functionality of multiple products into a single product.    Also the SH-4d has its own sound while the J-6, T-8 and S-1 have theirs (ACB-based)