Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC61 Touch Sensitivity for Piano

Does anybody have any favorite touch settings they are using on the YC61 for acoustic piano?  I just can’t seem to find an ideal place between soft, normal, and hard settings. I haven’t dug into the new curves yet.
 Just as a reference, I’m more of a synth guy, not a pianist, so I’m not requiring  a weighted action. I’ve been happy on Nord electros and older Roland’s like the xp30. I like everything else on the YC, but I’m just not yet connecting  with the AP’s. 

None of the soft/normal/hard are good, as you've discovered. You need to tweak the individual Live Set with the much more nuanced Touch Sensitivity (Depth and Offset) velocity controls. I can't help with specific numbers to try, since I have the 73 which is an entirely different action, but that's where you need to focus your efforts.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I worked with the settings last night and definitely created a much better feel. The settings didn’t really work as I expected, so it was more done by feel. I imagine I’ll probably end up still tweaking a bit more after playing with bands and through different amplification to see what is best. 

• Like 1

Yes, the amplification thing is sooo important. 

Anyone with any experience of a real piano feel has an expectation of how loud a note should be when the finger goes down on the key.
When amplified, this has to 'sit' somewhere in the (unknown/different) mix, and allow you to play comfortably in that range. 

If I can hear properly, I can play quieter, or less notes - but, I can accent when I need to. If I can't everything is at 100-127 velocity 😞
This is hard enough on a weighted board, but not impossible on a 61 if things are consistent. 
Consistency is hard with different bands and stages, which is where IEMs really come in. Like the airplane announcement says - sort yourself out first. 

When sound guys compress the s*** out of piano sounds live as a matter of course, it breaks my heart.

• Like 1

I've left it at the factory setting and if running that keyboard stand alone usually am running it through two DXR10s. I love it. Sometimes I use it on one keyboard gigs as one gig I have to haul the PA , guitar rig and this. People in all my bands love the YC as it was a new addition last summer. I go to play the Motif XF and S90ES organ sounds and then don't enjoy them like I used to. I usually tweak all these plus have layers so they were never factory stock that everyone always complains about. I made them better.

I just recently bought a YC 61 and have been experimenting with the velocity curves. I hooked up the YC to Pianteq to check which global curve seemed to give me the best results. For me the normal setting gave me a decent velocity range. I have been working with the settings adjustments for piano sounds and Rhodes but haven’t settled on anything much better than default, though these do give you considerable options. I am hoping this keyboard can be an all in one solution for certain kinds of gigs which I don’t have at the moment 😉. I would not particularly want to play the pianos on a jazz centric gig, but for non piano heavy jobs I think they are going to work. I got inspiration from Reezkey who plays wonderful piano on an unweighted keyboard. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 1:16 AM, AnotherScott said:

None of the soft/normal/hard are good, as you've discovered. You need to tweak the individual Live Set with the much more nuanced Touch Sensitivity (Depth and Offset) velocity controls. I can't help with specific numbers to try, since I have the 73 which is an entirely different action, but that's where you need to focus your efforts.

I almost gave up on the YC pianos as I couldn’t connect despite being a long time Yamaha piano user. Connected a weighted piano to it today and wow. So it’s very much how the sounds respond to a weighted keybed. I know @NosPup isn’t a piano player, but if you really want to enjoy digging in to AP’s and EP’s might be worth trying a weighted board.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I almost gave up on the YC pianos as I couldn’t connect despite being a long time Yamaha piano user. Connected a weighted piano to it today and wow. So it’s very much how the sounds respond to a weighted keybed. I know @NosPup isn’t a piano player, but if you really want to enjoy digging in to AP’s and EP’s might be worth trying a weighted board.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll certainly give that a try. Although I’ve gotten to a pretty good place with the velocity settings now, so I’m not as concerned.