Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HALion 7 is here …

Hey all,

I know it’s a Kontakt world, but I’ve been a Steinberg HALion user since 1.x and version 7 just came out. I have no connection to Steinberg other than being a customer/user but I wanted to share the news.

The instrument really came to life with version 4 when it was completely redone. Yamaha started doing the bundled sound ware around that time and VA synth oscillators were added. Version 7 adds an 8-op FM module with DX7 / TX81Z sysex import, enhancements to the wavetable module, and more powerful time stretching. There are other modulation/UI enhancements as well.

It’s not for everyone, but I tried Kontakt and I could never really click with the interface, though I know it’s a very powerful tool and the de facto standard for library developers. 

I do program synth sounds with HALion and I have multi-sampled a few old instruments, but most of my sampling is single hits for unique drum sounds or drops, which pretty much any sampler can do. But there is also some good raw material in the sound ware for basses, strings, EPs, drums, etc.

Anyways, I’m not looking to convert anyone, I’m just sharing my excitement that a new version is available.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bill Heins said:

I just upgraded :) I use Kontakt the most but Halion is handy in Nuendo and Cubase...I also picked up UVI Falcon a little while back!

Bill

Cool… I usually wait for a point release (ideally an x.5), but when I upgrade to Cubase 12 and Wavelab 11 I’ll probably update to HAL 7 at the same time.

I have a few FM VSTs (notably FM8 and Arturia DX-7V), but I’m excited to try this one. I like that you can import TX81Z sounds. I’m curious if it will cut through like a TX does.

The new multi-sampled guitar sounds good too. I wouldn’t use a guitar sample in an actual track (I prefer the real thing), but it’s a handy tool for laying out a part and showing a guitarist what you’re aiming for.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Yup, all my electric guitar stuff is the real deal but since I don't have any acoustics I use sample libraries for the sounds playing the parts on the keys. I just picked up Wedge Force OOLong for 12 string guitar. I use Indiginus Acoustic Guitar Collection a lot too! One of these days I'll get a nice 12 string...been eyeing a Taylor ;)

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!