Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can a portable 'studio' make a profit? *Update*

hey flyscots,

some things to keep in mind when putting together your equipment list

-backup system: I don't know if you have a data backup system or methodology, but you need to put that as your number two priority behind actually getting stuff recorded. Do not neglect this or your career will end quickly. Make sure that you have proper backup software, media, and systems (by systems I mean a regular backup routine that you adhere to after every gig - it is important to plan this well). Include nominal archival fees in what you charge the bands to do a recording if you need to cover the continual media costs. The rule of thumb is this - the only stuff you don't back up is the stuff you don't care about losing immediately

-transportation system: Be sure to budget and plan your rack and other transportation needs. If your laptop is the centerpiece of your rig, be sure to have a protective case for it and your mics that is up to snuff. You don't want to risk all of your new gear by just wrapping a leather bag around them while in transit. Also, you'll have to logistically figure out exactly how many mic stands you feel that you need to bring with you, and exactly how you plan to accomplish that.

A couple of suggestions to keep your rig light and portable:

-A laptop hooked up to a MOTU 828 or comprable interface can make tons of great recordings with a very small footprint. I don't think that you are in great danger of this, but beware of the "bring the whole studio" mentality that can creep up when planning these things

-don't be afraid to rely on other people's gear: try to just pack the mics that a)you think will not be provided at the gig and b)you think that you will still need to do the recording right. Ditto with mic stands, headphones, and cables (though not as much with cables) Your application may demand a compromise here that is acceptable to make if there is going to be decent gear provided at the gig.

Other stuff:

-discuss payment and delivery terms well in advance. Garage bands are notoriously short on cash, and even if they bring you on in good faith they may be unable to make pay you once you get the recording done. Always discuss payment terms well in advance, don't compromise a reasonable rate just to get a gig (you'll never make any more than your lowest rate with any client) and don't deliver materials until payment has been made. Be up front about your terms and you should be fine (though you'll still get burned a few times).

-show up early: if the band wants to meet in the garage at 7:00, get there at 5:30 (which may mean packing up at 4:00 and leaving at 4:30) Do what you have to do to show up prepared and on-time. Gremlins only show up when you are late. :D

---------

-Guruman-

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes John, it's the same choir, but I was going to hire them then, but now, they would be the client.

Yeah, I was looking at the B3 as well, and I read good things about the "B" series as well, but I heard that the C1 is the goto vocal/main mic, so I opted for that. I got it for $199.99 at Sweetwater ... thanks for the free shipping, Chuck! The B3 is a bit less expensive @ $169, and if I like the C1, I was thinking that I may end up getting a pair of B3s at some point, though monitors and memory are a bigger priority at the moment. Though, if the choir gig does come through, I may have to spring for those B3s sooner.

The C4 matched pair might be a nice small diaphram solution down the road. And one of those Onyx 1620 with the firewire interface. And a Power Mac Dual 2.5 with the 30" cinima display. Maybe an Avalon channel strip. PT HD!

Ok, I have to calm down. I'm starting to hyperventilate from GAS. (breathing into a paper bag.)

I really don't know what to put here.

That's some excellent advice in there Nick, thanks very much!

Wayne- thanks for sharing your experiences. To be honest, that's kinda how I first predicted this would turn out and if it wasn't for the financial backing I wouldn't do it. However, I'm going to give it a try and seeing as I already work for the local Arts Association I will have easier access to potential clients & events.

Guruman - Sylver may be recording a choir but you're preaching to one here! Thanks man, it never does any harm to have the fundamentals laid down in front of you. You don't have to worry about me with backups though. When I was at college we had it hammered into us backup BackUP BACKUP. Tattoo the word backwards on your forehead if need be, so when you look in the mirror you are reminded to backup.

Jack - I have the B3 listed at £124.99, at today's exchange rate that is $223.73. :mad: Britain sucks!

Originally posted by flyscots:

Yeah Neil, whatever you want. Trouble is, you'll have to bring yer own Cheesy poofs. We don't have them here. Well we've got overly camp TV presenters, but that's not the kind of cheesy poofs you meant is it!?...

Doh! I forgot what "poof" means across the pond! :eek: (Yeah... I saw that movie about the rural English kid who wanted to dance ballet. :D )

Cheese Puffs... Cheetoes.. "Cheezy Poofs" is what they're called on South Park. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived