Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got my new motherboard and video card from China

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It usually takes 3 weeks to 2 months. This time I got the parts from 2 different Aliexpress vendors within a week of each other...approx 1 month. My son-in-law has been having good luck with them so I tried them a few months ago with smaller items.

I hear ya Craig

I think it came by boat to Vancouver then air from there. Next they will be shooting down Amazon drones.

I got stung on an Android that I bought from China over 10 years ago. They all say that they will accept returns but the shipping cost for Canadians TO China is much higher than from China TO Canada. I paid $100 for the Android and the shipping back to China was $120...so there you go.

So I bought the motherboard combo (mb +cpu +16 gigs ddr4) from one vendor. I thought that this was all NEW ....., BUT AFTER READING THE FINE PRINT used ram and used  cpu.

I bought a new power supply from Amazon (probably also from China) and an M2 SSD from NewEgg.

I'm going to recycle an old case and CD/DVD from another computer.

Next I'm hoping to transfer my Windows 10 Pro license from the other computer over.

Any more of those $29 OEM versions of Win 8 Pro left around ? That was what I updated to Win 10.

Hopefully everything will be running in a few days. I have a bit more info now.

Dan

2 hours ago, Anderton said:

Did they deliver it by balloon?

I believe only Nobel Laureates like you would get deliveries via balloon.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally have everything working fine on this new PARTIALLY IMPORTED computer and rendered a 19 minute video today with cuts and synced to another audio file in ONLY 16 MINUTES.....big difference from 3-5 hours, but I discovered that I may have done something wrong when importing files. Movie Studio 16 normally starts up in AVHD format, BUT ASKS when you import if it can change to the format of the file. This was no problem when I had the old computer and video card because everything was only 1080p, but now this card is 4k compatible. SO WHAT WAS THE EFFECT? It was driving me crazy because it would render my video in a tiny box in the center of the screen with a large black border around it.

When I discovered the problem I quickly learned that you can't change a projects PROPERTIES later on.

Luckily I was able to open a second instance of Movie Studio, import the media files again (without changing the project properties) Then I copied and pasted the entire timeline into the new version. VOILA ! It worked.

BTW they are trying to tempt me with a $49.95 "upgrade" to the latest version, but now that everything is working so good... IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT !

If I start using my 4k phone to take videos....we will see.

Dan