Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DP actions: is it just me, or...

SMcD

Lots of good input. For sure most digital piano actions are not "piano-like". The keys being heavy all the time creates fatigue and the sound/key connection is crucial. Play the CP4 or CP88 in stereo with a good set of monitors and all of a sudden, you can play better. Even my Kronos 61 piano is depressing in mono, but much better in stereo - and it affects your playing.

But darn it, the "good" piano players I have worked with, just jump on the keyboards and seem to be able to play fast and effortlessly on any crappy keyboard with heavy /slow action. I don't doubt they would have more ease with a better action, but they just play!

Personally, I am trying to go a little heavier and even perhaps slower, just so I play lines a little more piano-like instead of synth type lines which I tend to play too fast anyway.

• Like 2

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Great comments in this thread… we all wish for the ultimate EP keybed.  If price is no object…  boards in $2500+ are pretty amazing. The Kawai MP11SE is very good, but heavy.  

But how about the new entry level boards as a bottom board?   Yammy P121?  Korg D1 or Casio S3000?   Costs < Numa X.

As with old Casio Previa’s. Sometimes a keyboard < $1000 can still be acceptable basic sound & action.   Let us know if you’ve played the new entry level under 25 pound keyboards? Thx!

tripp323

Nord Electro, Kawai MP, Roland JX-305, Korg T1 & 707