Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight but powerful active monitor for rehearsals/small gigs in UK. Know of any?

Quick question, guy just a few miles from me has a Wharfedale Titan 12D on sale for £100. Its bi amplified with two line/combi inputs, eq and its not bad at 12.5kg for a 12" speaker. Its a little bigger than I wanted but saves me getting XLR adaptors etc. Anyone familiar with it? Some decent reviews but mostly as a small PA for DJ's, Gyms etc. Probably because its waterproof 😉

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Quick question, guy just a few miles from me has a Wharfedale Titan 12D on sale for £100. Its bi amplified with two line/combi inputs, eq and its not bad at 12.5kg for a 12" speaker. Its a little bigger than I wanted but saves me getting XLR adaptors etc. Anyone familiar with it? Some decent reviews but mostly as a small PA for DJ's, Gyms etc. Probably because its waterproof 😉

I've used one belonging to the sax player for small semi-acoustic pub gigs. (Keys, sax, acoustic guitar, and vocals)

They work fine, for sure.  Not pretty and don't blow you away, but, for that price - worth a go to use for rehearsals.

Oh, and as far as using a jack to XLR cable from your mixer, they're common, and will work fine.

https://www.thomann.ae/sommer_cable_stage_22_sg04_1000_sw.htm for example.

2 hours ago, Adam Burgess said:

Oh, and as far as using a jack to XLR cable from your mixer, they're common, and will work fine.

Yes they will. However, adapters are cheap will give peace of mind such that if a cable like that malfunctions, any regular 1/4" - 1/4" cable you can scrounge up will work. I wouldn't want to be making an emergency run to a music store hoping to find a 1/4" - XLR cable!

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Don't know much about that one, but at that price you could sell it on at virtually zero loss if you don't like it.

Have you given up on the requirement for a pair of speakers to deliver stereo?

Regards, MIke.

I have Mike, at least for rehearsals. I have a few options that will a. Let the band hear me but b. Let me hear my keys properly in stereo (basically using earbuds) if necessary. Once gig ready, or if the next rehearsal space is well equipped, I may find myself with a bunch of gear i don’t really need.

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

3 hours ago, Adam Burgess said:

I've used one belonging to the sax player for small semi-acoustic pub gigs. (Keys, sax, acoustic guitar, and vocals)

They work fine, for sure.  Not pretty and don't blow you away, but, for that price - worth a go to use for rehearsals.

https://www.thomann.ae/sommer_cable_stage_22_sg04_1000_sw.htm for example.

Sounds like its worth a try. Its just over a year old, been used in his man cave for music (pretty bloody loud, good job he lives in a detatched country house) and just accepted £80 collected. About 5 miles away too 🙂

• Like 1

Happy enough with that, its certainly loud and clear enough and its actually the first time I have heard this board amplified properly, not through some rehearsal room POS. Im quite impressed by both to be fair, and wouldn’t say it was ugly either 🙂 Thanks for all the advice guys, now to see how it fares at rehearsals…

F98A6E19-A10A-4C60-89CC-0DAF9F0B08CA.jpeg

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Happy enough with that, its certainly loud and clear enough and its actually the first time I have heard this board amplified properly, not through some rehearsal room POS. Im quite impressed by both to be fair, and wouldn’t say it was ugly either 🙂 Thanks for all the advice guys, now to see how it fares at rehearsals…

F98A6E19-A10A-4C60-89CC-0DAF9F0B08CA.jpeg

Sure you'll be happy with it! It's always a nice moment when you hear in your ears what you want to in your head 🙂 

Best wishes to you and the band!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Yes they will. However, adapters are cheap will give peace of mind such that if a cable like that malfunctions, any regular 1/4" - 1/4" cable you can scrounge up will work. I wouldn't want to be making an emergency run to a music store hoping to find a 1/4" - XLR cable!

Those adapters/couplers in a long solid metal block are not a good idea hanging out the back of an instrument or a speaker.
Trying to use one with a wedge or small mixer makes me cringe. On the floor as a line adapter, yes. Could you even fit one on the back of a wedge?
The cables and angle would be a tipping point on mixer on top of a keyboard.

I agree, but, you'd have few 1 foot flying leads; XLRs are everywhere on a gig. Extend as you need.
I've got a homemade collection of of every gender of XLR to XLR, and splits, 1/'4" female jack to/from XLR M/F etc.
Take up no room, but very handy. So long as I have those, an XLR > XLR will always do.

All my jacks from keys are L-shaped and supported to the stand somehow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Thanks for all the advice guys, now to see how it fares at rehearsals…

You'll be fine. It's not going to be the last word in sonic fidelity, but it will get you through, and as I said previously - if you don't like it, sell it on.

OK so that's the climax of the story arc, we just need another rehearsal (or gig) report as the camera spins round the smiling couple (keyboard + amp) in front of a romantic sunset while the credits roll...

Cheers, Mike.

12 hours ago, stoken6 said:

You'll be fine. It's not going to be the last word in sonic fidelity, but it will get you through, and as I said previously - if you don't like it, sell it on.

OK so that's the climax of the story arc, we just need another rehearsal (or gig) report as the camera spins round the smiling couple (keyboard + amp) in front of a romantic sunset while the credits roll...

Cheers, Mike.

Gig report forthcoming, but not next week as I am off to Copenhagen. No promises on a romantic sunset at the rehearsal rooms though…