Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick James found dead

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!

I'm tempted to make a Dave Chappell / Rick James joke, but I'm just too blown away.

The original Super Freak, RIP.

-Mike

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Geeeeezzzz,

We just keep losing them one after another, so many great artist are leaving us. Its so hard for me to believe that the self proclaimed King of Punk Funk is dead.

He was an awesome writter, awesome musician and a musical inspiration to many. I for one will miss him tremendously. I can remember the first time I heard the line:

"She's a very kinky Girl, the kind you don't take home to mother."

The lyric, the phrasing, the music was such a departure from funk/R&B; that no one outside of maybe Prince could inject urban music with such a vibe. I don't know about anyone else but Super Freak goes down in history as one of my all time favorites. And ten years latter MC Hammer comes back and samples it to sell another Gazillion records.

ALL honor and respect is due

Rick James R.I.P.

http://TrilogySound.com

Reading, PA

Wow, major bummer. My cover band does "Superfreak" and "Give it to Me Baby," and will continue to, but it'll feel weird for awhile.

I saw him a coupla years ago in Ventura, CA, and you could tell the partying had taken its toll. Still put out a ton of energy onstage though. He had an inimitable style, and today is as iconic to the perception of funk as George Clinton, Sly, and other giants.

Rest well, brother Rick, and thanks for the music.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I put together the following Rick James playlist in iTunes to use as a soundtrack for my day:

---

You and I Mary Jane Bustin' Out (On Funk) High on Your Love Suite: One Mo Hit (Of Your Love) Give It to Me Baby Ghetto Life Make Love to Me Super Freak (Disco Mix) Fire and Desire Call Me (I Got Yo Number) Dance Wit' Me Standing on the Top Hard to Get She Blew My Mind (69 Times) Cold Blooded Ebony Eyes Serious Love (Spend the Night)

---

Paying tribute,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

I put together the following Rick James playlist in iTunes to use as a soundtrack for my day:

Bustin' Out (On Funk) Ghetto Life Hard to Get She Blew My Mind (69 Times) Paying tribute,

Geoff

Geoff, you sho nuff funky brother, as James Brown would say. Hey man, last night was kinda rough, but thanx for the tribute, which serves as a reminder of good things me.

In tribute to your tribute, I must say The basslines on Bustin Out, 69 Times & Ghetto Life, really will inspire me to move from sadness back to appreciation for Rick's muscic.

"They call me Slick Rick baby"

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Geoff, you sho nuff funky brother, as James Brown would say. Hey man, last night was kinda rough, but thanx for the tribute, which serves as a reminder of good things me.

In tribute to your tribute, I must say The basslines on Bustin Out, 69 Times & Ghetto Life, really will inspire me to move from sadness back to appreciation for Rick's muscic.

"They call me Slick Rick baby"

Thanks meccajay, yesterday was a sad day for me too...still sad today...

...but his music lifts me up.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Natural causes=preexisting conditions.

In Rick's case it was likely the damage done to his heart from smoking so much coke. It damages the heart muscle. Sometimes it kills the smoker in mid toke. Sometimes the ticker is damaged (small tears) like a slow leak in a radial tire. One day you walk out and the car's on a flat.

[/admitted theorizing]

He nearly single handedly saved Motowns ass in the 80's. What a staggering influence on funk in particular and pop in general. It's weird, I just bought Bustin' Out-The best of Rick James. It don't get any better than 'Big Time' & Hard to Get". Both will soon be included in my set list to honor a true funk pioneer.

R.I.P.

Rick

I saw Rick James last summer. One of the best shows I've ever seen. He had some trouble standing up and playing instruments but his voice and attitude was front and center. A show I'll never forget. May he rest in peace.

I hadn't been aware that a) he was diabetic, b) he'd had a pacemaker installed and c) he'd had a stroke in 1998. None of those are precursors to living very long. I'd speculate that his days of partying could have contributed to the cause for those ailments.

In any case, I dug his tunes, and it's sad to see him go so young.

- Jeff

Archived