Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Investment company sees value in owning the rights to Bieber’s released catalog.

ElmerJFudd

“Justin Bieber’s record-breaking pop hits from “Baby” to “Sorry” are no longer his after the superstar sold the rights to all his early career music.

The Canadian-American pop star’s six albums, including his most recent album “Justice,” are part of the massive catalog sale deal with Hipgnosis, a U.K-based music investment company...

Bieber’s publishing copyrights, songwriter’s ownership, master recordings and all rights of his entire catalog of recordings made through 2021 are now owned by Hipgnosis. That covers 290 titles, including hits like “Peaches” “Beauty and the Beat” music that Bieber has been releasing since he was 13.

The deal’s financial details have not been disclosed, but Billboard Magazine reports that the sale was worth an estimated $200 million.”

https://apnews.com/article/justin-bieber-music-catalog-sale-a3e0b4a37feadf2ee0f808bde94c2c10

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If Dylan's catalog is worth $500 million, Springsteen's $550 million, Sting's $300 million... yeah Bieber's catalog is worth $200 million if the investment company is forward looking. There' a lot of stuff in there that really connects with those between 20 and 40. My daughter thinks the world of these songs, and she's approaching prime buying age for all kinds of goods and services. 

Edit: This sale is not saying anything about Bieber's musical value vs. Dylan or anything, just commercial value as the century progresses. 

• Like 1

I'd say Bieber should sign that deal and laugh his ass off running to the bank.    If before I read this thread you were to ask me to name one Justin Bieber song I couldn't do it.  I knew of Justin Bieber would hear a piece of one of his songs on TV and not think much of it as just cliche Pop.   I can understand Dylan, Springsteen, Sting, catalogs pulling the money they did, but IMO those are artists whose songs will still get airplay decades from now.   Their songs had some great melodies and lyrics and were milestones for periods of music history, I don't see Justin Bieber being that. 

I know I'm old, but I spent most my life working with people younger than me so I'd hear them talk about the music they were into and listened to some to hear what's going, but Bieber was never one of them.   To me Justin Bieber was popular with pre-teen and early teen girls and that demographic changes what they like with every generation.    So as I said Justin take that money now because I if you wait till your as old as Springsteen, Dylan, Sting it would probably be too late.    

It’s definitely his acquired fan base.  They’ve grown up with him and he’s still it for them.  And he continues to pull in younger listeners working with current producers thrilled to have his voice on their track.  

Now I recall an article recently that suggested a break from touring due to a health issue, something to do with facial paralysis.  Perhaps he’s thinking about taking it easier on himself in the near future.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Gotta admit I kind of like Peaches... one of those goofy things that you can't get out of your head once you've heard it a few times. Now it reminds me of the spring of 2021, when things were starting to reopen.... in other words good times. 

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

I'd say Bieber should sign that deal and laugh his ass off running to the bank. 

That was my 1st thought upon hearing about that $200 million deal.🤣

Bieber is already rich. But, he'll be totally set for life once that ink dries. He'd never have to sing, record or tour again.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If he can keep the money.  He's still a young guy, relatively.  I wonder if he needed to.  Because the long history is those catalogs are worth more later.  The money people know this.  Hopefully he has a strong investment team and isn't partying it away.  When you can buy yachts and planes with $1m/yr + expenses, it can go pretty quick....

• Like 1

I worry the poor kid and his wife/ partner are very crook (Aussie for sick). I fear he is cashing in while he still has life in him incase his illness worsens.

I know that "take it now not later" health perspective. I certainly wouldn't be taking a "set for life" lottery win over an instant payout. 

Even at his young age he may be very health scared presently. I hope he and she can recover but i think its wise to cash in while he still is musically relevent too. He can begin a new musical chapter now too if his health holds out.

Take the money and run. Good luck to him a wise choice in uncertain times. Although I am not a fan I do feel for both of them and wish them well. 

• Like 1

I was surprised to hear he was selling, but the health issues may well play into his decision.

And no, Justin Bieber is not a one-hit wonder or flash in the pan by any stretch of the imagination. His catalog will continue making a whole lot of money for these folks. It sounds to me like he's only given up past works, so he should still retain his rights for any new recordings.

• Like 2

Hearing about his illness that makes a lot of sense to get the money while you can.    I have a similar illness mine is Permanent Bell Palsy and all the muscles of the right side of my face have now atrophied so I look like a Salvador Dali painting of myself.   So for a Pop star like Bieber that career ending.    I was a few years old than Justin when mine started so I know the path his face is going to take and eye issues.   I don't know about his disease, but Bell's Palsy is something doctor know very little about and pretty much nothing they can do, some claim steroids help but usually don't.  

So I really feel for Justin and his family.  

My normal position is that even if I hate listening to a song, I can enjoy playing it.

And then I had to play "Sorry". There's at least 5 different parts - the Mellotron chords at the start, the "oh" vocal sample, the trumpet hook, a soft pad (with sweep) and some marimba-ish stabs. And the song is, for the most part, just one four-bar loop, round and round and round - the form isn't really delineated by anything more than some of those 5 parts dropping in and out. So it's hard work AND boring at the same time.

So yeah, forgive me if I don't want Justin on my lawn.

Cheers, Mike.

I doubt anything like it will happen for Bieber, but I remember after the Cash family sold Johnny's catalog, they were decidedly unhappy when Ring of Fire was used in a Hemorrhoid cream commercial. 😜

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/news/20220611/justin-bieber-reveals-facial-paralysis

“Ramsay Hunt Syndrome -- a rare disease that occurs when a shingles outbreak attacks facial nerves close to one of your ears.”

Bells Palsy is basically the same the one nerve that comes out of your skull in the area of the ear gets infected. 

• Like 1