Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs that end badly...

Two nominations:

Jimi Hendrix/ Band of Gypsies: Machine Gun

Grand Funk Railroad/Closer To Home: I'm Your Captain (Closer To Home)

Machine Gun is an amazing tune. Strong. Moves. Then...I dunno what happened...everybody fell asleep? Left the stage in search of a joint? Got beamed up by the mothership?

I'm Your Captain works just fine until...until...THAT ending. "I'm getting closer to my home," six thousand, five-hundred and thirty-three times in a friggin' row. WTF guys? Maybe they were all high and it seemed like a good idea at the time, but...nah. Like Lucky Man, it didn't stop the song from being a huge hit. I distinctly remember it being on the juke box in the Pizza Den (Pizza DEN, not Pizza Hut...are they even still around?) near where I lived. It played non-stop. My father, who was of the "Rock and roll is just a fad. It'll never last," mindset, didn't even seem to mind that tune too much. It's not like he'd burst out singing the song while driving--perish the thought--but he didn't get all steamed up when it was on, either. Go figure.

Incidentally, I happen to like the Lucky Man ending. Yes, it's somewhat of a musical non sequitur but that's okay with me and apparently enough other people were okay with it that the song developed some serious legs.

Now, if we're allowed to suggest other parts of songs, I want to nominate Monster, by Steppenwolf. That DUN, DUN, DUN, DUN part in the middle goes on for waaaaay too long. Otherwise it's a good song and quite appropriate for today, if only people were into protest songs. Gawd knows we need 'em. I've been working on one, but that'll have to wait its turn.

I had another candidate in mind, but it slipped away as I was typing the above.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I'm going to threaten disrupting the space-time continuum by mentioning a song from within the last 50 years, but I am not a fan of the half-time thing at the end of "Bad Guy." I actually really like the move in general where a song takes on another personality at the end, but in this case it just seems like it's casting about for an idea and doesn't find it. 

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under

First time I heard the song, I thought there was something wrong with my CD. They literally chopped the tape mid-note, mid-phrase. Live, it's ridiculous and it's usually their set closer, FFS! Awkward, anti-climactic, and unsatisfying. I get they were trying to do something creative, but it's just wrong. Don't do that to an epic, after 8minutes, the brain wants a nice satisfying conclusion.

Any song that fades out immediately as a cool solo begins. Culprits being:

Rush - Different Strings
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water (I bet Jon was furious)

Weather Report - Birdland (live, Joe plays one of the greatest keyboard solos ever, studio version just goes nowhere).
Yes - Siberian Khatru

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

40 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

Any song that fades out immediately as a cool solo begins. Culprits being:

Rush - Different Strings
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water (I bet Jon was furious)

Weather Report - Birdland (live, Joe plays one of the greatest keyboard solos ever, studio version just goes nowhere).
Yes - Siberian Khatru

You also forgot Goodbye Stranger by Supertramp. Just when you're starting to enjoy the guitar solo, it suddenly fades out.

Just thought of another - Play with Me, Jeff Beck - Jan Hammer is burning, and was still going, and....crap.

Toto - both Pamela and Rosanna - it's like a conspiracy if they're going to name it after a girl, they're going to have a killer jam going and just when it starts getting funky...

• Like 1