Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lower end (more or less) 61- and 88-key MIDI Controller keyboards - your experiences?

bill5

I'm window shopping and would be interested in any feedback. Here's what I've found so far. My initial thought is the first one as an inexpensive option that even if not optimal I can get some use out of, then upgrade to an 88-yet (probably semi-weighted) later. My requirements are a good basic set of onboard controls (Record, Stop, Play/Pause, Rewind, FF), pitch and mod controls of course, a sustain pedal jack, full-sized keys, and most of the rest (knobs and faders, pads) are nice to haves but not wrapped up in it too much. Of course I'd like a good as possible keybed, but especially if I go for a 61-key synth action model initially, shouldn't be too big of a deal. I won't be playing Liszt on it. :)  

Price                   Make                         Model                            Keys

1image.png.be84c6e0b8635778a444b3be82491e57.png

Don't bother with any of the Nektar Impact LX variations - I've never played a flimsier-feeling keybed, and it felt like I had no dynamic control at all. I do like Novation's Launchkey MK3 action - I have the little 37 version, but it is superior to the Arturia Keylab Essential and M-Audio Oxygen/Pro models in feel (less springy, smoother, feels a bit higher-quality). I was just trying out some of these keybeds yesterday at Guitar Center, so that was good timing for this thread.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I've never played one, but I've read good things about the action of the Alesis VI61, which meets your specs, and also has a couple of things I look for that many low-cost controllers don't have... 5-pin MIDI Out, and aftertouch.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

48 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I've never played one, but I've read good things about the action of the Alesis VI61, which meets your specs, and also has a couple of things I look for that many low-cost controllers don't have... 5-pin MIDI Out, and aftertouch.

I have owned the Vi49. The keys are stiff and springy. That could be good if you like fast trills and drills but kinda annoying otherwise. But the main negative is the velocity. It's very erratic and uneven unless you just use b3x .  And there seems to be weirdness with the midi. Sometimes it will drop notes.

The maudio has sorta decent keys but I found that some software responded sluggishly to the pitchwheel.

Nektar impact isn't terrible.

Novation impulse is more not terrible than the nektar.

Arturia essential has a cheap plastic feel to the action but gets a little more satisfying when a sound is hitched up to it, then the response is pretty fast feeling. And I think because it's the newest of the bunch the midi is faster and more reliable. I haven't tried it but I bet the Arturia Keylab 61 mk2 would be one of the best but the price is up a tier from the others.

• Like 2

FunMachine.

I definitely prefer the feel of the Novation Launchkey over the older Impulse series - not as springy. It's really a totally different feel they were going for I think though. For the record I am not fond of the Impact keybed...it's just odd IMO. Bouncy would be my description.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

A couple of years ago I was looking for a lightweight controller.  My requirements were:

61 keys

9 sliders

sustain pedal

expression pedal

pad/buttons 

5 pin midi out/in

USB MIDI

pitch/mod wheels

decent SW keybed

ability to edit patches in real time

easy transpose functionality (both globally and per zone)

lightweight

not alot of $'s

The three that I thought met all the requirements were initially M-Audio, Novation Impulse, Roland A800 Pro.  If I recall correctly the Roland turned out not to have the transpose functionality that I was looking for, the Novation Impulse had the shxttiest keybed I've ever felt (felt like a kid's toy) and most M-Audio keyboards lacked one of the requirements (either no 5 pin midi, or no expression pedal, no sustain, no 9 sliders, etc.).  Keyboard Partners at the time was recommending the M-Audio Code 61 (an older model) as the 'perfect' controller for the HX3 midi module.  So low and behold I found one in perfect condition and extremely inexpensive.  I rolled the dice and bought one and it has turned out to be exactly what I hoped.  It was the only model that I found that met all of my requirements.  

Sometimes it makes sense to look at older models as newer models often drop features in order to keep the new offering's price down.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

10 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

I have owned the Vi49. The keys are stiff and springy. That could be good if you like fast trills and drills but kinda annoying otherwise. But the main negative is the velocity. It's very erratic and uneven unless you just use b3x .  And there seems to be weirdness with the midi. Sometimes it will drop notes.

Thanks for that report. It's s shame, since it's a nice feature set for the price, and I like the idea of having all those buttons for live patch selection. So many controllers today seem so oriented for DAW use, that a live likely necessity like patch change is given short shrift.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)