Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tommy Emmaanuels Cover of Jeff Becks Because we have ended as lovers

desertbluesman

1 hour ago, desertbluesman said:

As always Tommy blows my mind with his guitar mastery.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tommy+emmanuel+cause+we've+ended+as+lovers

Is this the one you mean?

Here's a good article concerning "Cause We've Ended as Lovers", written by Stevie Wonder, and other matters and songs connecting Wonder and Beck:

Jeff Beck: “Stevie gave me Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers as an apology for releasing Superstition first"  - MusicRadar

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

31 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Is this the one you mean?

Here's a good article concerning "Cause We've Ended as Lovers", written by Stevie Wonder, and other matters and songs connecting Wonder and Beck:

Jeff Beck: “Stevie gave me Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers as an apology for releasing Superstition first"  - MusicRadar

It's sad that the fidelity of the audio is so distorted. It's a nice version beyond any doubt. Tommy does a fine job, given the expressive limitations of the acoustic guitar. 

I still prefer some of the later live versions by Jeff Beck, he spoke uniquely through his electric guitar. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Cool live video.  I can never say anything negative about Tommy as he is still my favorite player these days.  But, I do prefer Jeff on his electric Fender Stratocaster for this tune.  The young Aussie bass player: Tal from down-under is fantastic too.  I have a Crossroads 2007 DVD of her and Jeff playing (I love her bass solos).  I also think the drummer and the keyboard (organ synth) player deserve a ton of credit for the backup foundation playing on this video...😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

1 hour ago, Larryz said:

The young Aussie bass player: Tal from down-under is fantastic too.  I have a Crossroads 2007 DVD of her and Jeff playing (I love her bass solos).  I also think the drummer and the keyboard (organ synth) player deserve a ton of credit for the backup foundation playing on this video...😎

That's Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, who has played with a ton of people, like Zappa, Joni Mitchell, Sting, Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, & on & on, and Jason Rebello on keys, who has worked with Sting, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, etc. In my opinion, that group, with Tal W, was Beck's finest band ever. They perfectly matched Beck's genius. They always knocked it out of the park.

• Like 4
Scott Fraser

1 hour ago, Larryz said:

Cool live video.  I can never say anything negative about Tommy as he is still my favorite player these days.  But, I do prefer Jeff on his electric Fender Stratocaster for this tune.  The young Aussie bass player: Tal from down-under is fantastic too.  I have a Crossroads 2007 DVD of her and Jeff playing (I love her bass solos).  I also think the drummer and the keyboard (organ synth) player deserve a ton of credit for the backup foundation playing on this video...😎

I agree, I didn't say anything negative about Tommy. I said that acoustic guitar is not as expressive as electric guitar. 

And while both Tommy and Jeff have (had, in Jeff's case) profoundly different right hand techniques, both are stellar and both are fingerpickers. 

That said and no, I can't fingerpick like Tommy Emmanuel, but I do understand his technique - I can't wrap my head around watching Jeff work both the volume knob and the vibrato bar while picking notes and doing it so flawlessly. It's crazy. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Kuru, I didn't mean to imply that you said anything negative about Tommy and agree with you on the electric guitar being more expressive, depending on the tune and the player. 😎

Scott, +1 The bass, drummer and keyboard players perfectly matched "Becks' genius".  I think their volume sensitivity and backup playing would inspire many a live performance. 😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz