Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lounsberry Mo Bass

Started looking at Lounsberry pedals to go in between an Electro 3 and a Leslie 145. Wanting some growl at bedroom levels. And maybe with a Vent (when/if) I get one. 

Their new “Mo Bass” is supposed to combine the Tall and fat with the Organ grinder. Advertised for bass but website says it’s great for organ. 

Anyone tried it out yet?

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

Sounds like an interesting pedal to try on organ alright. Relatively new. I use an Organ Grinder pedal in front of a Vent for my clonewheel which will give some added sizzle you won't get from just the Vent alone. (I like a fairly raunchy organ tone.) The Organ Grinder will take the distortion over the top into the extreme if you crank it too much. It would be nice to hear a comparison between the Mo Bass and Organ Grinder. 

I have a SanAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI pedal which I've added in front of the Organ Grinder/Vent. You can save three presets onto the three stomp buttons. By making small adjustments to the SanAmp's presets, (level/eq/etc.)  you get 3 different overdrive/tone settings available to switch between. I don't have to manually adjust the Organ Grinder output to compensate when increasing/decreasing the overdrive.  Would be nice to have one pedal to do all that, but it works fine. Don't need to manually adjust any of them once it's setup and offers more tonal flexibility when combined with different EQ/drive/level settings on the clonewheel itself. Lot's of variations available. There's other ways to do it, but it's what I had on hand to experiment with.

I use a tall & fat before Vent w/ SK Pro 61. It's not always engaged, but i do prefer its overdrive to Vent or SK Pro's. -- I play electric bass in another band and have started using t&f there. It gives my GK 212 Legacy combo amp some tube sounding warmth. 

Pretty much the opposite of what I need, as I put a mild high-pass on my keys (for gigs at least!).  "Mild" because it's set pretty low and I rarely play down there.   In fact I have too much bass in my main SK Pro patch right now compared to B-3X, which is what i was using, at the same drawbar settings.

I've heard the organ grinder is great, but I'd need some kind of insert circuit to use it, as I use the leslie sim on the keyboard.

in my experience, the t&f works like a HP filter. I'm not sure the exact frequencies it cuts, but it definitely crops out some of the low end. There is a stereo t&f designed to work post leslie sim. -- I guess this thread is about the "mo bass", and that title does sound like the opposite of a HP filter. 

Wasn’t aware the t&f worked as a HP filter.

Never crossed my mind that “Mo Bass” might increase the bottom frequencies. Just thought it was named because of marketing for bass guitar. I always thought the bottom end becoming light and flabby (can’t think of a better word) was part of the sweet goey ( again hard to describe sounds) goodness of tubes. 

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

1 hour ago, MRkeys said:

I always thought the bottom end becoming light and flabby (can’t think of a better word) was part of the sweet goey ( again hard to describe sounds) goodness of tubes. 

No....That's exactly what you don't want in your bottom end. Does not sound good at all. You want to retain the meaty clarity of the bass while adding growl and sizzle. A lot of distortion/overdrive pedals will turn the low end of an organ into mush. I bought an Organ Grinder pedal because it was supposed to eliminate that issue, and it does exactly that. Big difference.

• Like 1

for bass guitar, most guitar overdrive/distortion pedals will kill the bottom end too much, so bassists buy specially designed pedals. I like the One Control Blackberry OD and also lightly use the Tall & Fat as more of a compressor than an OD. -- so I guess this pedal sounds like a Tall & Fat but lets "mo bass" frequencies through for the bass players. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Tall Fat & Wide, which lives on my Korg Prophecy to turn its pathetically wimpy output level into a thing of joy without adding a ton of noise. I should also mention that Greg Lounsberry is a truly delightful fellow, for what it's worth.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music