Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeff Beck

20 hours ago, RABid said:

Says it was listed 7 months ago. Don't know if he is a con artist or just stupid. 16 more listed at decent prices. He is going to have to wait a while for demand to go up. :P

I think he just raised the price, but maybe not...

I did see tons of people suddenly saying "I want a Jeff Beck Strat" on Facebook, and a guy said his store instantly ordered a bunch because they knew what was coming... and about a dozen guys came in looking for them that first day...

A guy (embarrassed his name escapes me, because he's a well-known keyboardist) said in a facebook post that showed in my feed that about 10 years ago he was asked to accompany Jeff on a song at a memorial service for some music industry guy (again, embarrassed I forgot that name) and that day Jeff and his manager showed up with a beat up white Strat and small beat up old Fender tweed amp and they went through the song and he sounded amazing... then he left for a while, "and I couldn't resist picking up his guitar and checking it out. And nothing special, just a Stratocaster with really high action, surprisingly, and I turned on the amp... and let's see how it sounds... hmmm, I sound nothing like he does with it, not even close. I should add that during the performance, and the only other time this has ever happened to me was playing with Kate Bush, I got so overwhelmed by his performance and presence that I was lost in watching it, and almost screwed up."

I'll try to find that original post and link to it.

• Like 2

I could play Jeff Beck's personal favorite guitar and amp, and you'd have to be shot up with a lot of Demerol to think that I could sound anything like Jeff Beck.  But if someone wants to spend the money and buy a Jeff Beck Fender Strat, it's their money, and they can do whatever they want with it.

• Like 4
I rock; therefore, I am.

I rarely tried to play like anyone else, I did copy a few licks here and there from the rich and famous, and from some locals in the night clubs. But when I started playing out in clubs, the whole thing became work, on top of day work, and on top of day work, for a lot less money than my day job. I was a union bricklayer/stone mason/concrete finisher, and later on, after I had the balls to do it, I went into a small business as a masonry contractor. So from then on, after taking lessons from Emily Remler, and Bob Aslanian, both astounding jazz players/teachers, I decided it was not worth the effort to go out for a few bucks. Sometimes I made a grand every other day back in the 60's once I became a contractor, and that grand every other day would be about five grand every other day nowadays.

So I had to practice 5 hours a day after work, carry thousands of dollars worth of gear into a club for 30 to 50 dollars a night. Since I was married with kids at that time, I could not afford to go to the big cities and look for gigs to get famous and a record deal.. So I never went for being a fluent jazz guitarist. Once I found out how exceptionally simple it is to write songs and produce them, I went from my guitar god wishes, to amateur producer and arranger. 

That was my priority from those gigging days and getting a recording deal wishes. I went from pro wanna be to amateur musician, amateur guitar picker, amateur producer. I have never been sorry that I did it that way, so as a hobby it is no longer WORK, it is simply amusement on my part. I enjoy it every day that I do play.

Now that I look back on it, Being rich and famous is something that I would not have enjoyed. I prefer alias, anonymous, incognito. Nuff said.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Sharkman said:

If a magic genie appeared and said he could make me rich and famous, I'd ask if I could get twice the rich and none of the famous.

I wouldn't mind hitting the Mega Millions or Power Ball. Most of the time I have tickets for the lotteries here in Arizona.

• Like 2