Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith Emerson "High Level Fugue"

Old No7

I just stumbled onto this video of Keith playing this fugue...

While I enjoyed his playing, the best part for me was watching all the various images of him that were in the rotation, as many I'd not seen many of those before.

Based on a Google search, I also found this info...

Emerson credits Friedrich Gulda for inspiring the High Level Fugue, which uses jazz figures in the strict classical form. Also included on the Five Bridges album were live performances from the same Fairfield Hall concert of the Sibelius Intermezzo and a movement from Tchaikovsky's Pathetique Symphony.

Enjoy!

Old No7

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Great find, thanks for sharing. 

I'm finding the piano tone a bit wearing on this recording. Harsh hammer attack and resonances don't suit the purity of the fugue, even with this jazz vocabulary. Would like to hear it on harpsichord or pipe organ.

And he missed the opportunity for a Basie "splank" at the end!

Cheers, Mike.

The piano tone sounds pretty sampled to my ears... I think this is a MIDI-based performance by the person who posted the video. The German text->translation makes me think it's him playing his own transcription, not any recording of Keith. 

That said, what a great piece of writing this was!

Jerry

P.S. Here's the Google translation:

I've finally completed the transcription of Emerson's Fughette, independently of the solutions already circulating on the web - my basic framework was in place almost twenty years ago, with only a handful of subtleties still to be worked out. It wasn't all that easy, especially since Blinky Davison's cymbal eritis and Emerson's opulent use of the pedals on the two recordings available to me didn't make things any easier. But …
The habitual complainers, critics and other greedy pitters may meanwhile read Goethe's "Der Rezensent".

I find it remarkable that of all my heavings into the du-glotzerische network, this copy was able to achieve by far the most selections. – … – … – Ah, wait, I see: the searching tunnel vision of most people here is not aimed at me, but at Keith Emerson. You stay with the familiar, trying out the previously unknown is not for everyone.

23 hours ago, jerrythek said:

P.S. Here's the Google translation: 

(about the MIDI-based performance by the person who posted the video)

...................Ah, wait, I see: the searching tunnel vision of most people here is not aimed at me, but at Keith Emerson. You stay with the familiar, trying out the previously unknown is not for everyone.

Too funny!  Thanks for sharing that!

It sure helps explain why I liked the images more than the playing (as great as the composition was).

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs