Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Simple iPad Pro setup

I have an iPad Pro 3rd generation with USB-C connector and no headphone output.   I have a solution for getting audio/midi/charging using a USB hub and the audio interface on my Soundcraft Notepad mixer.  But I would also like an easier solution with less stuff.  I would like to get an adapter that has all three things:  headphone output, USB-C for charging, and standard USB A for connecting midi keyboard.  Anyone have luck with something like this?

https://a.co/d/hwt7X7f

I also have a fifth generation iPad mini and this is easier using the headphone output for audio and the standard Apple lightning adapter that provides both lightning for charging and USB for MIDI connectivity. 

This is part of my effort to have a very light weight SIMPLE alternative to my normal rig (Kronos/Stage/amps/PA/mixer,etc):   basically a Casio CT-S500, an iPad, an amp and as little cabling as possible.  Works with my iPad mini and just want to see if I can get a similarly simple arrangement with the family iPad Pro (which has that M1 for lots of soft synths :) )

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Just noticed that one solution was posted by Reezekeys in a recent thread:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/184267-psa-good-deal-on-a-usb-c-ipad-dock

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Yea, depending on how you mount your iPad, the "dangling dongle" just seems awkward and maybe a reliability issue. I'm no mechanical engineer, but the stress of the connector being weighed down by the dongle and its cables, especially if the iPad is moving around at all (my stand is a little shaky as I play) makes me a little nervous. For that reason,  I like those flush-fitting docks, though as Scott mentioned there might be an issue if the iPad is in a case. I just ordered a bumper case for my new iPad 9G - it was cheap enough ($9) that I'd have no qualms about putting an x-acto knife to it if needed.

3rd-party lightning accessories similar to the first item you linked to are notoriously unreliable. I tried one and it was junk. USB-C ones might fare better, I don't know. It's Amazon so easily returnable at least. There's also the possibility of using a USB-C extension cable from your iPad to the dongle, though again, another 3rd-party link in the chain would make me a little nervous.

• Like 1