Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rock 'n Sock for adjustable height playing

I tend to like sitting a little higher than the typical keyboard player.  In my church setup I have been using a regular Rock 'n Sock drum throne.  Very comfortable and works for me.

Has anybody tried the one that is adjustable?  Looks intriguing, especially since I will use it in my studio part of the time and in my living room where my Nord Stage sits lower than my other setup.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NRXOK--roc-n-soc-nitro-extended-hydraulic-throne-black

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

I used one of those (with the back attachment) for years to play organ.  My organ stayed in it's cartage case which added too much height for a "regular" seat. It's held up well even after years of abuse!

• Like 1

I bought one about 3-4 years ago; I'm 6'3" and needed the extra height. Works great, still using at home and on gigs. I contacted RnS to inquire about getting a round seat in addition to the saddle type seat it came with. The rep told me a year ago that maybe they would have product hopefully by end of 2022, but maybe early 2023. Covid shut down their supply of seat material. Good luck, Joe.

I've been using the adjustable one for several years - it works great, and is both comfortable and durable.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Bobby

Kurzweil Forte 7, Studiologic SL73 with Mainstage, Ibanez basses, Numerous Guitars, Presonus StudioOne 5

I'm also 6'3" and while I normally stand, on really cramped gigs it's easier to sit (since I can't move due to lack of space anyway).  My right leg has some issues due to old cancer surgery/radiation so there may come a time where I need to take the load off for every gig.   I'd prefer to have sitting height as close to standing height as possible.  For years I used a pneumatic barber chair that swiveled, wasn't the most comfy seat but it did have a handy foot rest :)  It was about 3 inches shorter than standing height.  I looked into drafting chairs as a possibility.  My wife got me a stool that I've used a couple times, I believe it may actually be a mechanic/shop type chair.  It's not quite as tall as the old barber chair.

My monitor mixer (behringer p16m) is on my pedalboard, it's a major PITA to get to it while sitting...I'd have to mount it somewhere else on my rig if I sat all the time.

I prefer adjustable drum stools for seated play to other portable options. Depending on your lower back you may or may not want/need one with a back rest.  I thankfully do alright without a back rest.  The seat on the roc-n-socs tend to be more comfortable than cheaper competitors. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I’ve used one with a backrest for years. But a year or two into ownership the threads for the bolt under the seat that holds the seatback in place stripped out a bit. So I am constantly tightening it up.

Otherwise it has worked well and is comfortable, but as others mentioned it’s heavy and bulky for transport. So I often use a small, foldable x-style bench instead.

Found a gibralter with a back rest for $50 and have been using it for about 2 years, before that I was using a padded wooden chair.  If I could do it over I would purchase a roc-n-soc, it is the most comfortable throne I've sat on.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band