Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best software synths for improving at analog subtractive synthesis?

On 12/26/2022 at 11:43 AM, Stokely said:

I remember trying Surge but I disliked the look, a lot (tiny rasterized graphics on higher resolutions is what I remember).  That above looks way better than I remember, and looks flatter/vector, did they update it?

Surge is open source. The original developer turned it over to a group that has been updating and modifying it over time. They have a web site for it, take suggestions and even accept code. That group has done an exceptional job with it. The second video is really long, but it is a great tutorial for someone new to synths.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

2 hours ago, RABid said:

Surge is open source. The original developer turned it over to a group that has been updating and modifying it over time. They have a web site for it, take suggestions and even accept code. That group has done an exceptional job with it. The second video is really long, but it is a great tutorial for someone new to synths.

I can second that, but be prepared. Its GUI looks a lot like Reason's, meaning very box-y. You might find that either helpful or maddening. It offers some proper VA sounds, but by far, its strengths are in the other methods. Its also pretty easy on the CPU. I encourage you to take it on no matter what else you do. Its been an interesting place to turn for some odd things I've enjoyed.

I told Hazel about my youth as a djinn, of how we used to eavesdrop on the angels
  and how they would throw comets at us if they spied us listening.
        ~ Neil Gaiman, "Trigger Warnings"

16 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It will be an uphill battle for most/all plug-in devs to support another format until the most widely used hosts are onboard to support it.  Ableton, FL Studio, Logic, Cubase, DP, Reason.  But I wish them well as that’s how progress is made.  At the very least it brings attention to what’s lacking in the other formats - for plug-in developers and for end users.

True,- and that´s the mainstream biz/ marketing perspective.

B.t.w.,- you forgot to mention Presonus Studio One Pro, which I also own and use, above.

Reason,- well ...

I own,- but meanwhile rarely use it because it became too buggy and my latest version v11 doesn´t support VST3 which now needs v12.5 and isn´t perfect as well.

In addition I was never satisfied w/ the VST3 ReasonRackPlugin which up to now was never able to replace the unfortunately discontinued ReWire technology.

AND,- Reason never worked w/ MIDI program change commands.

It´s a mouse-click and/or "step thru patches by up/down arrow" application,- ununsable for live giggin´,- at least for me.

In fact, the upcoming main issue of these hosts qwill be discontinuation of VST2.4 plugin format w/ the consequence MIDI program changes being impossible completely and forever.

I myself, I´d be fine w/ more idealistic and more professional solutions going beyond the demands of the average "beat maker" and "bedroom producer".

For me, Reaper would be very usable as a live-host when a plugin format still supports "banks" of patches.

I´d set up a rig in software like in hardware, have my pre-filled banks of patches for each device in a project set in stone for the gig and switch patches via MIDI.

Plogue Bidule is the other host I´d use for live gigging and exactly the same way.

But no,- VST3 doesn´t support patch-banks as also not multiple banks and VST3 presets cannot be loaded via MIDI program change commands.

Using Mainstage or GigPerformer is no option for me.

It doesn´t fit my workflow and I don´t have the intention to buy and learn in my age.

In regards of CLAP, time will tell and I myself, I´ll for sure be able to find a combo of VST2 and CLAP plugins working the way I want in a host still supporting old plugin formats.

And there´s hardware and DSP based gear I use in addition.

I´d wish Cherry Audio jumps on the CLAP train sooner or later and NI does too,- at least w/ Kontakt.

And back to topic,-

I think Cherry Audio´s vintage emulation plugins are very affordable and excellent devices to explore subtractive analog synthesis,- AND they respond to MIDI program changes.

Some time ago I bought their VM900 modules being usable w/ their free Vintage Modular Nucleus and that alone is a great way to dive deep into subtractive synthesis.

My collection of Cherry Audio plugins together w/  Memorymoon Messiah, ME80 and Sonic Projects OP-X Pro-II is great sounding analog emulations overkill already.

:)

A.C.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 2:22 PM, Ben One said:

I'm wondering if there is a soft synth with an even better interface, enabling you to, for example, easily adjust envelopes and other modulation tools and see/hear the results without having to do much diving into submenus or switching between multiple windows. Primer includes all the action on one screen, which is really great. But it doesn't, for example, graphically show envelope shapes so I can more intuitively get a sense of how to modify them to produce the desired sound. To be fair, Primer is a teaching tool, and maybe these sorts of bells and whistles are not useful, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Ben

Sounds like you might like this one - visual representations galore - and there's a free version:

https://vital.audio/

scroll down the linked page a bit