Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good sounding PA or Keyboard Amp for a digital piano and a vocalist.

Dan Foley

11 hours ago, Dan Foley said:

IIf my little Mackie K5 studio monitors can sound so good with only a 5" woofer, why can't I find a powered monitor with a small woofer that sounds just a good? Why do I need to get a big woofer? Do they make smaller powered monitors that can sound just as good as studio monitors?

There's no reason a smaller speaker can't sound as "good" as a bigger speaker... the bigger speaker isn't for sound quality per se, it's essentially to allow lower frequencies to play more loudly. (And you can certainly find big speakers that don't sound good.) Another difference between studio monitors and things designed for the purpose at hand is the size space they are designed to fill. Different designs are just better at different things. Which is presumably why you don't simply use the Mackie 5s you already have. 😉 It's kind of a variation of the "pick 2" thing... i.e. you can look at your choice as: "volume, price, sound quality... pick any two." Or just the most acceptable compromise... but in that respect, I'm surprised the EV was disappointing, especially compared to the Roland KC. What model was the EV, and which model was the KC?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

28 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

There's no reason a smaller speaker can't sound as "good" as a bigger speaker... the bigger speaker isn't for sound quality per se, it's essentially to allow lower frequencies to play more loudly. (And you can certainly find big speakers that don't sound good.) Another difference between studio monitors and things designed for the purpose at hand is the size space they are designed to fill. Different designs are just better at different things. Which is presumably why you don't simply use the Mackie 5s you already have. 😉 It's kind of a variation of the "pick 2" thing... i.e. you can look at your choice as: "volume, price, sound quality... pick any two." Or just the most acceptable compromise... but in that respect, I'm surprised the EV was disappointing, especially compared to the Roland KC. What model was the EV, and which model was the KC?

As an example - if you take the specs on Yamaha DXR mkII 15, 12, 10, 8.  They are all built with basically the same or same types of components and have the same case design. 

They all do between 130dB and 134dB SPL, the larger ones being slightly louder. 

Freq range at -10dB 

15', 49Hz - 20kHz

12', 52Hz - 20kHz

10', 56Hz - 20kHz

8', 57Hz - 20kHz

The frequency response curve comparison between the 15' and 8' is very similar.  The 8' is flatter in the mid/mid-hi frequency ranges.  The 15' offers a bit more at the bottom and the top of the spectrum.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1. A tower speaker solves a lot of problems, mostly dispersing the sound evenly instead of a single source approach where you have speakers sitting on the ground.

2. Your teachers Behringer XDF12?, would be hassle, a 40 pound block that’s easy enough to move in a room, needs wheeled assistance when covering any distance, which involves one more thing to deal with.  By comparison, many speakers weigh under 18 pounds.  

> Having a large woofer, at least an 8”, gives the sound a fuller depth.  That 12” woofer probably sounds rich and warm.

3. JBL Eon One Compact was a dream come true for me, having spent years playing my keyboard outdoors.  Be battery powered and having access to the mixer thru your smartphone is SO helpful/necessary if you are having to be the sound guy for your trio

- The EV Everse8 is very similar

4. If you’ve got the time, buying used would be one of the few ways to keep you costs down.  Just need to continue researching, and figure out a quick test that could be performed on a potential buy.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB