Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Herb Deutsch

he passed 3 days ago, I just found out today :(

text below copied from Moog Music

"Celebrating the Life & Legacy of Professor Herb Deutsch

On Friday, we lost a dear friend and member of the Moog Music family. Herb Deutsch, co-inventor of the Moog synthesizer, was a true innovator, a skilled musician, a beloved teacher, and a brilliant mind whose legacy is one that all of us at Moog—and anyone who has ever played a synthesizer—share the honor of carrying on.

As a colleague, Herb helped Bob Moog discover his passion for being a toolmaker. Together they developed a model for how engineers and artists may work together to achieve their creative dreams. The belief that an instrument's designer must understand the artist's mind and creative needs remains the core of all that we do at Moog to this day.

As a composer, Herb helped show the world how song is one of the greatest languages for storytelling. He believed in the power of music and recognized its role as a catalyst for change.

As an educator, Herb touched thousands of lives over his 50+ years of teaching. He inspired many to form lifelong relationships with music and composition. His students will remember him as a man who dedicated his life to making the world a more wonderful place through sound.

As a friend, Herb gave us the gift of a gentle smile and never let us forget the importance of kindness for our fellow humans.

Herb's legacy and place in the history of music will never be forgotten. And here at Moog, his laughter will be missed and cherished. We are endlessly grateful for his friendship, collaboration, guidance, and creative spirit. Our love is with his family and all who were fortunate enough to know him."

PHO145HerbDeutschHofstaUniversity1970 2 copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
:nopity:

Several months ago, I watched this documentary on his contribution to Moog Music:

Very cool the way he and Bob Moog connected. The rest is history. RIP Mr. Herb Deutsch.😎

• Thanks 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yep, a major force behind synthesis. I don't think I ever met him, unlike most of the other top innovators in the field, but he may not have been inclined to come to the AES Show. I was certainly aware of his role, but actually I didn't realize he was still alive. Sounds like he lived a good life, healthy as well. Anyone left from that generation of synth inventors? I guess Tom Oberheim is of that generation so maybe he's the last one standing.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager