Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ya know what I like...

That's fun!

I like it when I play a song I wrote and later one of the audience members says "that sounds just like (insert annoying name here)". 

I especially like it when the song they name sucks or it's an artist I've never heard of so I have no idea what they are talking about. 

So soothing and enriching... 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, 16251 said:

When I post a SoundCloud link to a recording of my solo playing on Facebook, which people "like," then the best part, I check SoundCloud and see zero listens.

Amazing.  You’d think people would be more aware of how things work… 🤔🙄

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

35 minutes ago, 16251 said:

When I'm driving behind Uber driver and they can't decide where to go or stop.

As if Uber was the only entity exhibiting such behavior on the road. Its omnipresent. I refer you to the comedic reality/horror show "Road Wars," on A&E. It'll burn rubber on your brain.

Reminds me of "The Drew Carey Show"...

"You hate your job? Yeah, we have a club for that. Its called Everybody. We meet at the bar at 6."

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

Are you interested in sharing your creation with the world and seeing what people think of it or are you more interested in acquiring Likes?  I never have belonged to facebook. What I know of facebook, the Like there is important enough to the facebook world. If the embedded link served a singular purpose of a convenient opportunity to hear a specific song I would think it did its thing at facebook and that I did not have to go to Soundcloud. Expecting people to Like you at two locations is similar to asking for a donation. It is not money but it is extra time and effort. Again, are you interested in sharing your creation with the world or are you more interested in acquiring Likes? If people like it they probably will Like it. Asking for more makes you seem desperate and solicits pity/charity rather than true feelings.

7 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Are you interested in sharing your creation with the world and seeing what people think of it or are you more interested in acquiring Likes?  I never have belonged to facebook. What I know of facebook, the Like there is important enough to the facebook world. If the embedded link served a singular purpose of a convenient opportunity to hear a specific song I would think it did its thing at facebook and that I did not have to go to Soundcloud. Expecting people to Like you at two locations is similar to asking for a donation. It is not money but it is extra time and effort. Again, are you interested in sharing your creation with the world or are you more interested in acquiring Likes? If people like it they probably will Like it. Asking for more makes you seem desperate and solicits pity/charity rather than true feelings.

I don't post for likes and don't care if anyone listens. When a FB friend or acquaintance of mine posts something musical I would not "like," unless I listened to it. I would find that to be fake and untruthful.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Were you originally saying that people Liked your post at facebook but they were not actually listening to the music? Can people listen to the Soundcloud file at facebook using the embedded link without going to Soundcloud? I do not recall here but at other forums I have been able to hear Soundcloud content staying at a forum and not using the link to go to Soundcloud.

26 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Were you originally saying that people Liked your post at facebook but they were not actually listening to the music? Can people listen to the Soundcloud file at facebook using the embedded link without going to Soundcloud? I do not recall here but at other forums I have been able to hear Soundcloud content staying at a forum and not using the link to go to Soundcloud.

Please, there is no reason to think too deeply about this. Technically, if they can't access content, don't "like" it. I post my music for musical growth.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I’m guilty of doing that myself too. I have a friend who posts boring music. There’s no point in criticizing him since he apparently likes what he does and I’m frankly not convinced he has the potential of improvement. But he’s a friend and I feel he needs encouragement, so I just press like without listening to his music. My like means “I don’t necessarily like your music but I like that you keep making music” 😉 Wondering if that makes me a hypocrite or something. 

• Like 2

Social media is quite a phenomenon. YT had to hide "dislikes," from public view and the "like," button, I believe is an important tool on YT. It certainly is a personal choice, which is how it should be.

My rant comes from years of recording myself with disastrous results. The stuff I share these days still sucks on many levels, but I do hear improvement, which keeps me trying to improve. It also reminds me how amazing real accomplished jazz pianists really are. If you are one of them god bless you.

If anyone wants to emulate what I work on, do this. - Take a jazz standard you know, practice it for 5 minutes, then turn on record and on first take play it for five minutes, or so and then listen back with the goal of having a completed take you feel comfortable sharing. This exercise is not about a worked out arrangement but is to see if you can play without thinking too much and hoping the inner ear takes over.  Then, getting the courage to share with social media. If no one listens fine, but I do think the sharing does help with finding a positive way forward. If I keep making unacceptable clams, then I stop the process. This is not about playing 10 takes and picking best.

6 hours ago, 16251 said:

Social media is quite a phenomenon. YT had to hide "dislikes," from public view and the "like," button, I believe is an important tool on YT. It certainly is a personal choice, which is how it should be.

My rant comes from years of recording myself with disastrous results. The stuff I share these days still sucks on many levels, but I do hear improvement, which keeps me trying to improve. It also reminds me how amazing real accomplished jazz pianists really are. If you are one of them god bless you.

If anyone wants to emulate what I work on, do this. - Take a jazz standard you know, practice it for 5 minutes, then turn on record and on first take play it for five minutes, or so and then listen back with the goal of having a completed take you feel comfortable sharing. This exercise is not about a worked out arrangement but is to see if you can play without thinking too much and hoping the inner ear takes over.  Then, getting the courage to share with social media. If no one listens fine, but I do think the sharing does help with finding a positive way forward. If I keep making unacceptable clams, then I stop the process. This is not about playing 10 takes and picking best.

The best thing about recordings is that they do not and cannot lie. Good, bad or indifferent, what you hear when you play it back is what you did. 

Recording a solo piece and playing it back unedited is a fantastic way to guide and judge improvement. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.