Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia Piano V

MPN21

Just a few days ago I upgraded to V Collection 9 from 7 for $99.    I haven't really played its piano libraries (physical modeling) until I came upon this YT video.   I thought I was going to purchase Pianoteq but now I am thinking Arturia Piano V2/V3 will serve me just fine.

I'm a Pianoteq player, but I can't find fault with any of Arturia's models. Each one has plenty of character and grab-ability. I like to think I can hear a bit of a "PM sound" to them, but the subtleties are always hard to describe. I only hear positives anyway. I'm with him about the uprights having a little added something and that glass grand is the croissant of the gods. 😲 Nicely done.

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

I just upgraded to V collection last night ($199 as I have the keylab MKII with analog lab). I haven't tried V3 of piano that just came with it- but I like using V2.  I use Ivory and Addicitve Keys as well, but use Arturia for the Yamaha pianos. 

- I am going to have to look for the link- but thought I read on some earlier versions that Arturia perhaps licensed Modarrt code and used some of their programming so to speak with the V piano collection. 

Off topic @MPN21 are there any of the other sounds/instruments you really like so far? The CZ by Casio brought me back to my youth and the Juno 6 is really enjoyable for me.

- I had never heard of Arturia until analog lab came as a bundle with my Presonus Studio One- from there I found the Arturia controller which has been a game changer fo rme as it has transport controls right on the keyboard

I did some model development work and preset voicing for this newer version of their piano - it was a fun project and I enjoyed the results we got. I can't really share any "insider" knowledge, but I think you should live with them for a while and get to know them. The most important parameters to work with are:

1) Set a good velocity curve first thing!!

2) In the Advanced section work with the hammer hardness and dynamic controls to suit your touch and taste

3) Play around with the mic positions

You can really personalize and get a wide variety of musical and useful sound from those areas.

Enjoy!

Jerry

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jerrythek said:

I did some model development work and preset voicing for this newer version of their piano - it was a fun project and I enjoyed the results we got. I can't really share any "insider" knowledge, but I think you should live with them for a while and get to know them. The most important parameters to work with are:

1) Set a good velocity curve first thing!!

2) In the Advanced section work with the hammer hardness and dynamic controls to suit your touch and taste

3) Play around with the mic positions

You can really personalize and get a wide variety of musical and useful sound from those areas.

Enjoy!

Jerry

Jerry- now that I know you worked on them I will be sure to try them out this week- I had been using the V2 and heard good reviews on V3. I remember you from way back on the Korg Forums.. 

I am using Arturia's MKII 61 key controller- is there any advice you can give me on setting velocity for 61 keys vs. 88 - eventually I am going to hook my computer to my P125

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RABid said:

I have to admit that I have not tried the piano. Been spending too much time with all those synths. Love the 2500, Prophet 5 and augmented voices and strings.

I found a lot of sounds I liked in Analog Lab- once I opened V Collection- having a DX7, Casio CZ and Juno on my screen brought me back to my youth- now being able to have these sounds decades later is amazing

V2 really turned that product around. V3 feels more like a slight bump in realism, but that’s fine. I think there’s room for improvement on the upright model, but the grands are good.

Jerry, big fan of your presets on Piano. The “Don’t Stop” (?) is my current fave for playing loud. Your work on Stage V is likewise appreciated.

I’d love to see a Wurli update, and I’m curious if they’ll ever do a CP70/80 sim.

• Like 1
I make software noises.

Thanks guys. I was working under the direction of a talented friend named Jonathan Leonard, who is really good at working with physical modeling. We did both the Stage and the Piano together. I'm glad that my work is being used.

As for velocity curves, it's really all about your touch, not what the curve looks like per se. Whether you do it first in the application, or just get a MIDI monitor, you need to look at how you play. What are the average MIDI values when you think you are playing softly? For many of us, they are higher than you might think. You can get clinical when you're testing, and trying to play as soft as you can, but you'll find that when you are playing without being in "test" mode you'll be averaging much higher. Then for me, the most important thing is how you climb up out of your quietest playing to a medium level. I like to have a lot of play/range from the lower to the middle - that is the heart of what you will feel is the dynamic response. On many preset curves I always find that it jumps too quickly the moment I am trying to start a slight crescendo. That range needs the most loving care.

Then for the end it is all about how hard you hit when you are playing really hard. Or in a band, which generally skews your whole touch up higher. From about 117 to 128 seems a small range, but it is where your loud playing versus a really hard accent will occur. At least for me.

On a synth action like your MKII 61 (I have the same one), it is too easy to play hard(er) at the low velocity end, so you need a slow, very exponential curve to compensate. On a weighted action you can more easily control that lower dynamic range. Hope this helps.

• Like 4

GREAT work Jerry. I wasn't specifically looking, but just in checking out the web site, I happened across the samples in the Preset Library section of the page at https://www.arturia.com/products/software-instruments/piano-v/overview with your name on them... and up until then, my interest in Arturia's Piano V was mostly academic. The demos I'd previously heard were not persuasive. But my eyes (and ears) opened when I heard your Chick Ish, that's a sound that would really work for me. I also really like your Romantic Piano and Joshua Fielstra's West Coast Cool and The Big Easy, the latter of which, to me, is not a great "acoustic piano," but is a really appealing sound with a nice CP-80-ish character.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 11/21/2022 at 4:58 PM, LarsHarner2 said:

- I am going to have to look for the link- but thought I read on some earlier versions that Arturia perhaps licensed Modarrt code and used some of their programming so to speak with the V piano collection. 

Off topic @MPN21 are there any of the other sounds/instruments you really like so far? The CZ by Casio brought me back to my youth and the Juno 6 is really enjoyable for me.

Is this where you read about the connection between Arturia and Modartt? https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=555074&start=30

I am so glad to stumble upon Arturia piano V3. It is going to work very well for me, and I like the fact that between V2 and V3 there are so many different models to choose from. Arturia V Collection/upgrade has always been a great value. Though I am not big on vintage synth sounds, it is great fun to explore sounds in all the vintage synths in the V Collection. I stopped purchasing any plugin that allows only one computer installation. such as EastWest and Steinberg. I run two Windows machines and two MBPs. It is a pain in the neck to move the license and usb dongle between the machines. I want to support companies like Arturia who is generous in allowing 5 computer installations.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 8:34 PM, MPN21 said:

Is this where you read about the connection between Arturia and Modartt? https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=555074&start=30

I am so glad to stumble upon Arturia piano V3. It is going to work very well for me, and I like the fact that between V2 and V3 there are so many different models to choose from. Arturia V Collection/upgrade has always been a great value. Though I am not big on vintage synth sounds, it is great fun to explore sounds in all the vintage synths in the V Collection. I stopped purchasing any plugin that allows only one computer installation. such as EastWest and Steinberg. I run two Windows machines and two MBPs. It is a pain in the neck to move the license and usb dongle between the machines. I want to support companies like Arturia who is generous in allowing 5 computer installations.

I will try and find it- but it was defintely on a kvr forum. The background was black and the text was white- it was some sort of screen shot .