Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Custom ipad rest for Roland A800 Pro

So, got my keys set up for a live set and wanted to incorporate my iPad with a Roland A800 Pro. Plenty of room on the side there but the damn thing slips off so....I have a 3D printer. I am going to see if this works before I look at commercial solutions. I just need it to stop slipping forward and there is a groove on the A800 above the keybed 😉

I am lacking some accurate measuring equipment at home so it will be a card template and a bit of trial and error but lets see how it comes out.

20221121_082842.jpg

A800.JPG

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Good luck with your printing project. This is how I use my iPad with my A800:

image.png.3c4c863e712274416fac26bccf9aadc6.png

I'm happy with this clip stand. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QHSGVTW/

I see you're in the UK so I searched & found that clip, but also saw this one which looks almost the same, a bit less money: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09JVPPYKC

These are all shown as mounting vertically to a mic stand but as you can see, they work just as well clipped to a horizontal tube - it might even be less stressful on it.

The only things I would mention are that the jaw is at its maximum extension - so the tube it clips to can't be a diameter over 2.5cm. Also, I'm careful not to overtighten anything on this stand!

• Like 1

Very cool!  If I ever "trade in" my Modx7 for a Montage/Fantom/Kronos (I admittedly want the nicer keys and build quality), I'll probably need something like that, because those keyboards (montage at least) have more buttons than my Modx7.  I use the bare space to the right to simply velcro it down, and there's enough of a slant in the Modx7 to make the ipad easy to read.   If I have it as my bottom board of two, I wouldn't be able to use a fancier stand thing as the top keyboard would get in the way--you have it on top there I see.  Having it higher up would instead block your face more than I'd like, so I would prefer it to sit flat like a second screen.

Speaking of velcro--looks like you might be able to do that unless there's buttons under that spot?  I did put down gaffer's tape under the velcro in probably a feeble attempt to avoid nasty residue, but I wasn't all that worried about it.  I used a pretty big square of strong velcro, it's actually a bit difficult to remove the ipad :)   I could certainly turn the keyboard upside down and it wouldn't budge.

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

there is a groove on the A800 above the keybed

Sorry for the continued OT but this groove or lip (I hope we're referring to the same thing!) on my A800 seemed perfect for this other iPhone holder I just happened to come across on Amazon. I took a chance and it's perfect - the "jaw" is at it's max extension and grips the A800 very nicely. Again, it's demonstrated in a completely different way than how I'm using it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klealook-Universal-Rotating-Adjustable-Compatible/dp/B07XC1NT8N/

iphone rig.jpg

Great solutions, pretty sure these tubes are 25mm internal so a bit bigger external, will need to check. Might still try the 3D printed version. 

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I just laid my iPad flat on my A800 about where you have it in your first photo. Seems to me a good spot if one needs hands on with it during a gig. However, for chart reading I think I prefer having it more upright where my clip stand puts it. My setup is entirely controlled by the A800's buttons, pads & sliders so I don't normally need to touch the tablet or phone. Your positioning is definitely better if you're adjusting anything on the iPad screen though. All imo, ymmv, etc.!