Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sort of OT: Tár

Saw this film with my girlfriend, who is an accomplished conductor. She thought it got an uncanny amount right about how brutal the classical music scene can be. Cate Blanchett was luminous and riveting. 

I kept expecting it to swerve into spookier Darren Aronofsky style territory — think Black Swan. Instead we got a drawn-out parable about ego and self-destruction. Ultimately it was boring. 

Worth the watch but I wouldn’t see it twice. Anyone else seen this movie? Thoughts?

• Like 1

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Not yet but soon. They had me at Cate Blanchett and the synopsis. Then I find out Mahler 5 is central in the film and it was “TAKE MY MONEY!”

We trumpet players love Mahler 5. The opening solo is on every principal trumpet audition list. Phil Smith (retired NY Phil principal) is the gold standard.

• Like 1

Didn't know about this film, but a Cate Blanchett fan.   I just watched the trailer and is looks very interesting think I'll have to try and see it.    

I don't much about the classical world my old friend from music school both his parents were cellists in the L.A. Phil and did a lot of studio work.   I remember the lesson they taught us after hearing us bitch about some jerk casual bandleader.    They said sometimes the biggest jerks are the same ones responsible for getting you lots of work.   Just show up for the gigs on time, play,  take the check and say thank you,  nothing say you have to go party with them just do job, be nice, and leave.    Great advice no matter what type of work you're in. 

• Like 1

Is it time to break out the modified and misattributed Hunter Thompson non-quote? 😅

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There’s also a negative side.”

Seriously though, one of the things I love about this community is the opportunity to learn about music or film I wouldn’t normally be exposed to. I’ve been afraid of Mahler 5 (one hour!) but Mark the fanfare has me hooked! I can’t wait to see how he harmonizes it and if he does. Similarly with Tar, it sounds intriguing. I bet it moves faster for me than Bridgerton, ha!  I am a Cate Blanchett fan and it should be fun.

Looking forward to experiencing them both. 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the rec. I haven't seen a new movie in several years by now, and haven't looked at listings since maybe 2014, so I rarely have any idea of what is out. I kind of forgot that new movies or movie theaters still exist, during the pandemic.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I didn't know about that movie but I'm a sick classical music fan, so I will certainly watch it, thanks for the recommendation! And of course I love Mahler 5, who doesn't? 😀 (Well, I prefer Bruckner and Sibelius to Mahler, and my favorite Mahler is actually the 6th but anyways, I'm a sucker for all the classical symphonic music in the world and can't get enough of it).

P.S. Just watched the trailer. Wondering if they had Marin Alsop in mind, considering certain parallels 😉 Also, the trailer somehow reminded me the French movie "La pianiste" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254686/)

3 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I didn't know about that movie but I'm a sick classical music fan, so I will certainly watch it, thanks for the recommendation! And of course I love Mahler 5, who doesn't? 😀 (Well, I prefer Bruckner and Sibelius to Mahler, and my favorite Mahler is actually the 6th but anyways, I'm a sucker for all the classical symphonic music in the world and can't get enough of it).

P.S. Just watched the trailer. Wondering if they had Marin Alsop in mind, considering certain parallels 😉 Also, the trailer somehow reminded me the French movie "La pianiste" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254686/)

There has been some criticism that the movie is a thinly veiled, fictionalized story about Marin Alsop.

Mahler 6 gave us “Stop! Hammer time!” long before “Can’t Touch This”. 
Enjoy!

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/mahler/guides/hammer-gifs-symphony-6/

• Like 1