Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SynthPlex - video requests?

So, I may try to shoot some product videos while I’m at SynthPlex this weekend.  Anyone have any requests for companies/products they’d like for me to try and capture?

Can’t promise how many I’ll actually do, but I do wanna try to get a few.

Here’s a list of the exhibitors.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Thanks for asking! I'm oddly fascinated by Arturia's MiniFreak. Daniel Fisher does a typically broad demo of it, although it currently strikes me as very avant-industrial, which could easily be unfair. I don't expect high-grade ROMpler content, but I'd like to hear its more traditional side. If it has some great strings or brass lurking in it, that would boost my interest in its potential breadth. There's one vote.                                           

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

What dB said. I won’t be at Synthplex in person due to family health issues. But I am currently in possession of a MiniFreak and will feature it in GearLab. Stay (de)tuned!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I always wanted a microfreak, but I never pulled the trigger.  By switching to a conventional keybed, looks like the Minifreak either 1) addresses the one problem some people seem to have with the microfreak, or 2) got rid of the one thing that made it such a uniquely expressive synth...

Can't wait to dive into the reviews.

Sean M.H., I have both the Mini and Micro Freaks here. (Full disclosure: I sometimes create documentation and tutorials for Arturia on a freelance basis, so I get to play with a lot of their gear.) For my money, I would rather have the MiniFreak's aftertouch than the Micro's capacative Y-axis thingy — though that's pretty cool, too.

Speaking of which, is anyone else aware of a synth with mini-keys like this, in this sort of form factor established by the microKORG, that senses aftertouch? Let alone one that comes in at $599? I may be having a middle-aged moment but I can't recall one.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I am into physical modeling to create organic texture and complexity.  AAS has been a leader. After Chromaphone and String Studio, they worked with Expressive E to create Imagine, which appears to be more focused.  All quite lovely. What are they saying about their future direction? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stephen Fortner said:

Speaking of which, is anyone else aware of a synth with mini-keys like this, in this sort of form factor established by the microKORG, that senses aftertouch? Let alone one that comes in at $599? I may be having a middle-aged moment but I can't recall one.

Only one that springs to mind is the Hydrasynth Explorer--which may even be polyphonic aftertouch IIRC....Can't think of others off the top of my head

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tusker said:

I am into physical modeling to create organic texture and complexity.  AAS has been a leader. After Chromaphone and String Studio, they worked with Expressive E to create Imagine, which appears to be more focused.  All quite lovely. What are they saying about their future direction? 

As a big fan of PM thanks to AAS, I'm curious about that as well. I've wondered if they consider doing a piano, but hold off because it would collide with Pianoteq, who have a huge grip on that area. Piano is also not a first-call instrument in the synth world. Chromaphone and Strum are far more glamorous & 'rock n' roll.'

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"