Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Covers in a key other than original

On 10/22/2022 at 1:15 PM, KuruPrionz said:

Hmmm... you went from an absolute statement to a more "maybe" stance (which is at least somewhat reasonable).

How many of us cover tunes as solo acts? I'm guessing quite a few. I do it and don't even consider the key or the precise arrangement of the original song to be anything other than their version of that song. If it's a good song, it can easily stand up well to multiple interpretations by people who play music the way they play music.

Otherwise, as others have said above - why not just play the record? At least that will sound "just like the record". Tribute bands? I'll take a hard pass, I'm nobody's robot. 

Yes I Understand.  I really agree with you in some ways.  When I wrote that I had come from practice and the singer was being a pain re-keying everything and some of the songs really sounded bad sonically.  It just get’s frustrating but I understand it.  I know a Zepplin tribute band and they do all the original keys, instruments and everything.  It seems they are a large money maker. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

1 hour ago, Outkaster said:

Yes I Understand.  I really agree with you in some ways.  When I wrote that I had come from practice and the singer was being a pain re-keying everything and some of the songs really sounded bad sonically.  It just get’s frustrating but I understand it.  I know a Zepplin tribute band and they do all the original keys, instruments and everything.  It seems they are a large money maker. 

But to do a great Led Zeppelin Tribute band you need a lead vocalist that can hit the high notes and imitate Janis Joplin! 😊

On the other hand, I saw Luther Wright and The Wrongs, a Canadian country band - and they played the entire Pink Floyd album "The Wall" all the way through in their own keys and with twang for days. It sounded fantastic, nothing like Pink Floyd but the songs held up. Their pedal steel player was fantastic and they had great harmonies. 

For me it's about putting the song in the best key for the singer. I will admit that can be easier with a lead singer who plays guitar, they can just capo up or down and play cowboy chords for the most part. I can't use a capo, I've got scalloped frets on my main Strat gigger and a capo will push everything sharp. So I just have to learn everything in whatever key the singer was singing. Or, I did. I'm putting a solo act together so now I can do what works for me. Solo reggae version of Best Friend's Girl by The Cars? I'm in but it had to go a few steps lower. So it goes. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'd also bet that same Zeppelin tribute would be just as good a step or two down, or up for that matter.

As noted, they sound good or they don't,  if there is some perfect pitch weirdo out in the crowd shouting "heretics" I doubt anyone will notice.

Hell, audiences don't even care if half the vocals and instruments are canned these days.