Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alto TS408

The alto ts308 are great. I have 2. The headrush 8" is the same thing, a bit less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/HeadRush-Electric-Guitar-Amplifier-FRFR-108/dp/B07M7JNZNX/ref=dp_fod_2?pd_rd_i=B07M7JNZNX&psc=1

I'd wait on the 408 if you don't need bluetooth. I like a product that's been out there for a while, bugs worked out. All the extras on the 408 give me caution.

• Like 1
Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

On 10/3/2022 at 2:15 PM, sagetunes said:

I'd wait on the 408 if you don't need bluetooth. I like a product that's been out there for a while, bugs worked out.

You have a point.  Not that I am looking specifically for the Bluetooth feature, I just found out that it doesn't get sent to the XLR output. 

• 6 months later...

I have the predecessor TS308, which I think is identical except for not having bluetooth. I'm very happy with them. Almost as good as the EV ZXa1, not quite as open and airy on top. But perfectly usable, and a bargain for the price.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

+1 -- satisfied TS308 owner

27 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I have the predecessor TS308, which I think is identical except for not having bluetooth. I'm very happy with them. Almost as good as the EV ZXa1, not quite as open and airy on top. But perfectly usable, and a bargain for the price.

3 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Some reviewers say that they like the TS308 better as it is warmer.   The new low price of $250 for the 408 is appealing, though.  

PLUS 3 on Alto ts308--user and lover. Got 3, cuz I can.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

What’s the consensus on the difference between 408 and 410?

408 for wedges, 410 for small Venue mains?

any advantage to the 8s over the 10s besides size/price?

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

12 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Both the EV and these are fan-less designs it appears.  I also don’t see any metal fins to dissipate heat as we see on other designs. Or ventilation holes or slits. Actually this is a common omission on most sub $800 designs.  I’m curious how these molded plastic enclosure monitors would perform in hot weather.  We know what they’d do in direct sunlight.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Both the EV and these are fan-less designs it appears.  I also don’t see any metal fins to dissipate heat as we see on other designs. Or ventilation holes or slits. Actually this is a common omission on most sub $800 designs.  I’m curious how these molded plastic enclosure monitors would perform in hot weather.  We know what they’d do in direct sunlight.  

Ouch, that is something to consider.  I've seen firsthand what sun and even ambient heat can do to gear.   Last July 4, late afternoon sun knocked out one side of the sound company's PA; they were using some cheaper powered speakers in place of the usual suspects from what the engineer told us, can't recall the brand.  I am looking for a monitor for certain gigs where I don't/can't use in-ears, and as it would be infrequently-used I was thinking to get a cheapie.

Not to derail the thread with the obvious, but you can get an awesome pair of five driver IEMs for $41.99 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/KZ-ZS10-Linsoul-Earphones-Detachable/dp/B07QKYTGH9?th=1

So, one perspective might be "why all the extra cost and weight for an Altos monitor when the IEM alternative is cheaper, lighter and sounds wayyyy better"?

:)

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

53 minutes ago, cphollis said:

Not to derail the thread with the obvious, but you can get an awesome pair of five driver IEMs for $41.99 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/KZ-ZS10-Linsoul-Earphones-Detachable/dp/B07QKYTGH9?th=1

So, one perspective might be "why all the extra cost and weight for an Altos monitor when the IEM alternative is cheaper, lighter and sounds wayyyy better"?

:)

my argument against IEMs is you can deal with a less-than-perfect monitor mix in wedges. In IEMs, if it’s not close it’s AWEFUL. I don’t trust most of the sound guys around here to dial things in very well.

Or are you just using IEMs for your own keyboard mix? I guess that begs the question, how are people using IEMs here?

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I control what's in my ears at all times.  I can use a small separate mixer to take the FOH monitor feed, mix it with a split off my keys, and put it in my ears.   So, either two small mixers, or a larger more capable one with aux sends.

I can't fix a clumsy mix, but at least I won't suffer for it.  If the other band members can't hear you, that's an issue for the monitor mix, and doesn't mean you should bring several thousand watts of amplification.  

Other notes: the IEMs take a while to break in, you'll want to upgrade with (inexpensive) tips and cables.  I have several in case one pair gets lost, damaged, etc.  Best $40 you ever spent.   I have sold off all of my stage monitors as a result, or given them away.  No use for them any more.

Other thought: When playing with my band, I mix the stage sound in people's ears.  Sound tech is responsible for what audience hears.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I have both the Alto TS308 and TS408.  For the price, I am pleased with both.  I take the 408 to blues jams and the like, and I've even had LOUD guitar players comment on the sound quality.  I've also used both together for stereo, which also worked well.  Not audiophile quality of course, but for my use and budget the Alto 8" are a great choice.  I also have an EV ZLX12P and QSC K10. but they pretty much stay at home these days.  I've never used IEM's.

12 hours ago, Zydecat said:

I have both the Alto TS308 and TS408.  For the price, I am pleased with both.  I take the 408 to blues jams and the like, and I've even had LOUD guitar players comment on the sound quality.  I've also used both together for stereo, which also worked well.  Not audiophile quality of course, but for my use and budget the Alto 8" are a great choice.  I also have an EV ZLX12P and QSC K10. but they pretty much stay at home these days.  I've never used IEM's.

Any differences in sound quality and characteristics between the 308 and 408?  

Nothing much noticeable to me.  I don't claim to understand mfg watt ratings, but the 308 is 1,000 watts and the 408 is 2,000.  The 408 seems a bit clearer and more powerful to me, as it should I suppose..  To my ears both versions have a surprisingly full sound for 8" speakers.  I see a major retailer has the TS408's for $250.  Considering another TS408 to make a "matched set" but I haven't gotten past the "why"yet.  

2 minutes ago, Zydecat said:

Nothing much noticeable to me.  I don't claim to understand mfg watt ratings, but the 308 is 1,000 watts and the 408 is 2,000.  The 408 seems a bit clearer and more powerful to me, as it should I suppose..  To my ears both versions have a surprisingly full sound for 8" speakers.  I see a major retailer has the TS408's for $250.  Considering another TS408 to make a "matched set" but I haven't gotten past the "why"yet.  

The only reasons would be to place the second in a sweet spot to give yourself a stereo image. For redundancy if one fails, or to have setup in two places if you play gigs where you have to change rooms quickly.  

A few additional reasons to consider two:

1) Spread. Each cabinet has by definition a dispersion pattern. For settings where you want to project to a wider dispersion without having to turn up a single cabinet, having two allows you to do this at a more comfortable overall volume level. This primarily applies to situations where your cabs are what the audience is hearing, but is a good way to overcome the loud guitar amp without shearing someone's head off.

2) Not having to drive one amp too hard.  As noted above, I've experienced a heat failure with one of my Yamahas (summer festival stage with no shade). It was good to still be able to hear myself, and luckily Yamaha has a seven-year warranty (that's another topic entirely). Point here is if you're driving one hard under less than ideal circumstances, it may fail earlier than if you had two running at 75%.

3) Distributed room usage. There are cocktail settings I've played where planner wanted discreet background music in two separate rooms. 

4) More is...more. It's the American way and it stimulates the economy. Therefore, you should buy more because...you know...you're a giver.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, timwat said:

1) Spread. Each cabinet has by definition a dispersion pattern. For settings where you want to project to a wider dispersion without having to turn up a single cabinet, having two allows you to do this at a more comfortable overall volume level. This primarily applies to situations where your cabs are what the audience is hearing, but is a good way to overcome the loud guitar amp without shearing someone's head off.

2) Not having to drive one amp too hard.  As noted above, I've experienced a heat failure with one of my Yamahas (summer festival stage with no shade). It was good to still be able to hear myself, and luckily Yamaha has a seven-year warranty (that's another topic entirely). Point here is if you're driving one hard under less than ideal circumstances, it may fail earlier than if you had two running at 75%.

3) Distributed room usage. There are cocktail settings I've played where planner wanted discreet background music in two separate rooms. 

4) More is...more. It's the American way and it stimulates the economy. Therefore, you should buy more because...you know...you're a giver.

1 hour ago, timwat said:

5)  you need exercise and want/need more stuff to carry. ;)

8 hours ago, brenner13 said:

My band just returned to gigs after a 5 month hiatus…my arms nearly doubled in size after schlepping all that gear again…hopefully, my belly will start to deflate some, too.

2am second dinner at the IHOP post show will dash that hope quickly enough. :) 

• Haha 1