Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do You Hanon?

JamPro

Did a little Hanon & Czerny back in the day, but these days mainly just run scales in the morning (to get limber) and try to do them differently from day to day. Today is a 6th degree apart and up one scale degree, down another, ascending and descending etc. It's taking awhile. 

I don't have patience to practice and memorize classical pieces much lately, but do find that when I am forced to learn something from the written page, that there is a good bit more freedom while improvising at the rock/country/jazz gigs. So trying to work on some Chopin, Bach, Debussy & others a little bit more lately.

I'm only a couple years into studying/playing jazz but when I have a free evening, while watching tv, I'll run some of the alt/dim/drop 2/blues-pentatonic/rhythm changes exercises that i find on various youtube channels and jazz books or work on some of the few standards that i know well enough to play while watching tv. (hi my name is octa, and i'm a tv addict) Jazz theory is a lot more interesting and useful (to me at least) than the classical theory i used to study, but there's a good bit of crossover info.

Thanks Dave. I was wondering if you would post about it.  I Sometimes think people want more out of things than what they are.  After all they are exercises and that it about it really.  I also don't know anyone going through all 20 in all keys in a day.  There are only so many hours in a day.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

About 10 years back, I got the bug to dust off some of the classical repertoire I played in HS, mostly mid-level stuff.  My teacher in those days, started at age 14, had me doing Hanon.  I started back with Hanon, first 20, since it was comfortable and a good gateway to get that left hand moving again after so many years playing rock and jazz.  The left hand had become a stump from jazz comping and pounding octaves.

However, doing Hanon gets a bit rote as its not harmonically pleasing, really just exercises to get warmed up and drill some dexterity.  Much more gratifying to play some real music.  Bach is great but the inventions and WTC never appealed to me.  I got so much more working out my favs, easier sonatas by Mozart (A Maj - all movements e.g. ) & Beethoven (Pathetique e.g.) and those wonderful Debussy pieces with their rich harmonies.  

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

It probably is better to play "real music"  but If I don't have a lot of time and practice 3 or 4 in different keys or play 3 or 4 scales it's a nice quick workout.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com