Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'Know of a good/fun venue in Oahu, HI?

My fiancee and I are leavin' tommorrow for a week-long convention in Honolulu. After we get our fill of ukelele and hula dancing, we'd like to check out some other music, either "traditional Hawaiian" or maybe some young critter bands or good ole R-n-R. 'Any ideas? Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All I know is make sure you have breakfast one morning at Egg's N Things. I still jones for the Macadamia Nut Pankcakes with Coconut syrup and a Hawaiian Pork Chop :love:
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Originally posted by dougsthang':

All I know is make sure you have breakfast one morning at Egg's N Things. I still jones for the Macadamia Nut Pankcakes with Coconut syrup and a Hawaiian Pork Chop :love:

wow- sounds just gross enough to love! - thanks Doug!

make sure you hit up Fatty's chinese, its in Waikiki, in the eastern market. Hands down the best chinese ever! Hallejua (sp? its been awhile) n the north shore is a great town, real picturesque view of Oahu. I don't know any good joints for rock-n-roll, if punk-reggae interests you you gottago to Waianae (outside honolulu proper). definitely take the hike up Diamond back, its a great view of the Oahu coast.

Hey Hanshan,

I think a friend of mine is presenting at the same conference (in community psychology). Small world! (Unless it's a different conference).

What I would do if I were you is hop on over to Maui and wander around the black sand beaches (just stay away from Lahaina -- too many tourists there).

Dooby Dooby Doo

Aloha Hanshan,

take a look at honoluluadvertiser.com and the entertainment section. I think the Sunday paper has a listing of all the happenings, the clubs and who is playing, etc. I don't live on Oahu and haven't been there at night for a long time so I can't make any personal recommendations. You'll probably not spend a lot of time in Waikiki, the entertainment scene is NOT what it used to be. I used to play at the Top of the Outrigger in a trio in the 70's (wow, that's a looong time ago) and it used to be full of places to go and bands to see, but it's not like that now. Most of the live music is outside of Waikiki, I think.

Maybe there's a poster who really lives there that could be more helpful.

Aloha from the Big Island,

Randy

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

I just did a Google search and found this place:

http://particlestorm.dyndns.org/images/pictures/bluesAlive20040414/bluesAlive20040414.html

It looks good to me, but I've never been there.

Now, if you were going to Scottsdale, AZ, where I just got back from, I'd recommend Harrolds Cave Creek Coral in Cave Creek, Chars Has The Blues in Phoenix, and Sugar Daddy's in Scottsdale.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say "thanks" to those who posted! Unfortunately, since I waited to the last minute and started this thread the day before the flight, I didn't get to read most of yer swell responses :cry: . 'Saw quite a few ukelele shows on the street, but never ended up checking out the music scene outside of beachside bars. 'Just too much to do (yeah, Duddits, I'm sure I was at the same 13,000 member conference, although it was nearly a ghost-town after the 2nd day)!

Oh, and never made Fatty's or Eggs n Things (the line was always heinously long), but Ono's Hawaiian food was the best!

Archived