Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Simple stereo recording suggestions: standalone audio recorder, audio interface and laptop/chromebook or ....?

eric.B

I have a small home studio with a multitrack DAW recording setup.

Recently I put 2 older 90s keyboards back into use but due to space issues had to set them up in an adjacent (storage) room (but with a mixer and PA at hand so audio is working fine).

Now I want to do some simple stereo recordings - highest quality is not required and I would like to keep it simple, cheap and preferably a desktop setup.

I tried setting up my older Akai EIE Pro audio interface but unfortunately it won't work with either my 2014 MacBook nor my new Chromebook.

So I'm thinking about either buying a standalone audio recorder, like a handheld Tascam DR-05X but preferably a desktop version (the Tascam DP-006 would do but is expensive).

Or go the laptop route with a simple audio interface - plenty out there, starting with something like a cheap M-Audio M-Track DUO.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

eric B

Highly recommend the Tascam DP-006 for your exact purposes. Offers mixing capacity you won't find in the Zoom models that list for a comparable price. If you find the DP-006 to be too expensive, I'm not sure if you'll find a cheaper alternative - they regularly sell for just 70-80 dollars (reference here)

• Like 1

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I own a couple of those fairly inexpensive  Sony recorders that hold a bunch, can use micro SD and work great.  Great for on the spot live recordings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTX2S2N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said, check your phone?    I've had great luck just using an iphone ( and it's voice recorder app) for some simple recordings.   During lockdown used it a bunch with an external stereo USB mic for video recording and also some VO demos while away from the studio. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Thanks for the feedback.

9 hours ago, Noah DC said:

Highly recommend the Tascam DP-006 for your exact purposes. Offers mixing capacity you won't find in the Zoom models that list for a comparable price. If you find the DP-006 to be too expensive, I'm not sure if you'll find a cheaper alternative - they regularly sell for just 70-80 dollars (reference here)

A standalone recorder and then specifically a desktop one like the DP-006 does seem the best fit for my needs.

I could leave it setup, press on and record and away you go.

I'm over here in The Netherlands though and they cost EUR 175 / $169 new and I don't see them on the local used market.

One negative thing I read was that the screen is not backlit, does it bother you?

If so, that would mean having to step up to the DP-008 which costs half more - so deviating more from my initial 'cheap idea'.

The audio interface / phone route is possible but a bit more fiddly to setup and record each time as my laptop (nor phone) are permanently setup there.

And I would most likely need an adapter for my iPhone 13, I haven't checked that out yet.

eric B

It's not clear if you are only recording a line in from your keyboard, or if you also want to record vocals, or if you want to record a real drum kit.

If it's just keys, then there are many choices, and it's hard to screw up the audio quality from a source that already has a "line in" signal level.

If you want to record vocals, then the mic preamp quality matters, and you would almost certainly want to spend more money.

And if you want to record a real drum kit, you will also be capturing from mics, and you will want some of them to be condenser mics,

which would require phantom power, and almost certainly would want to be capturing from more than 2 mics at a time.

I certainly would not buy anything under $100 if I were recording vocals, or if recording a drum kit.

Probably some pictures clarify my question:

IMG_3673e.jpg.a320db9899bbc91c45f2d65248ac90d6.jpg

IMG_3679e.jpg.d9d663a9a53f8f0422dcb69e01b37c57.jpg

I would like to just hit a button and record the stereo output from the Yamaha mixer.

Of course it would be most convenient if the mixer had a (USB) recording feature but over a decade ago mixers (in this price category) didn't have it.

eric B

A Zoom H1n is $100 and has an 1/8" stereo line in.  Boots in about 5 seconds, then you press one button to record to SD card.  I guess it's overkill if you'll never use the mics, but I don't know if there's anything simpler that's a standalone recorder.  (On posting: @D. Gaussfound something!  Is the line in stereo?  Probably.  Looks like it makes you choose between line-in/mic whereas my H1n switches automatically, so that's one more small step, but whatever.)

After the fact you'll need to copy your recording(s) off to the laptop.

When I was shopping for this kind of thing, I really didn't see the appeal of the comparably priced Zoom models with just an 1/8" line in when I could spent $80-100 for the Tascam with multiple 1/4 inch stereo ins, two surprisingly good built-in mics, multiple tracking capabilities, and the ability to mix in realtime with actual knobs. The DP-006 is so small, it fits in a guitar case accessories compartment. But to each their own!

Re: the screen not being backlit, no, it doesn't really bother me much because I'm generally using it inside.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Your Yamaha mixer has multiple XLR (mic) inputs already, and must have at least the ability to output two different mixes (one intended for FOH for a live gig, and the other intended for stage monitors).

Does your Yamaha mixer have a digital output? (I can't tell what model it is from your picture).

Keeping it simple, I would just get some kind of thing that take two "line in" inputs (analog) and converts it to digital. You don't need one of those portable recorders from Zoom et al that has some built-in mics. You would take 1 or 2 analog outputs from your Yamaha board and route it into the device. Or you could route the line output from your keyboard directly into whatever new device you buy. The output from the new device you buy would connect to your computer.

I would suggest some brand that is known to make gear that works for a long time, because you are looking for the simplicity of a toaster oven.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eric.B said:

So I'm thinking about either buying a standalone audio recorder, like a handheld Tascam DR-05X but preferably a desktop version (the Tascam DP-006 would do but is expensive).

Any thoughts, suggestions?

That Tascam DR005X on Amazon is $150 that is pretty inexpensive for a 4 channel recorder with stereo mic's built in.    Less than that probably just some mono recorder.   

Just had a thought you said this 2nd area is adjacent to your space with your studio, how adjacent is it?    If it's close enough maybe could run a pair of mic cables over to the 2nd area like tie lines in a studio.   Most DAWs today have remote control via a smartphone, tablet, or laptop so you can control your DAW in the other room.    That way you take advantage of the good gear in your other room. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Docbop said:

Just had a thought you said this 2nd area is adjacent to your space with your studio, how adjacent is it?    If it's close enough maybe could run a pair of mic cables over to the 2nd area like tie lines in a studio.   Most DAWs today have remote control via a smartphone, tablet, or laptop so you can control your DAW in the other room.    That way you take advantage of the good gear in your other room. 

That thought crossed my mind, the rooms are right next to each other, a couple of 10 mtr cables should be enough.

Having very limited control over the DAW (basically just starting the recording and letting it run for hours) made me look for alternatives.

But the remote control is an idea, I'll look into it.

BTW: not the main consideration but one becoming more relevant with electricity cost rising fast, is to only switch on equipment when necessary.

I'm more aware of that these days than in the past, some days I might record a lot, some days nothing.

eric B

• 3 weeks later...