Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

All hail the Yamaha PSR

nadroj

Played a festival last night. The roof of the marque our gear was securely stored in collapsed due to the unrelenting rain, and my Electro fell victim to the torrent of flood water that quickly filled the tent. My band mates managed to rescue it fairly quickly but the damage was done.

I stupidly turned it on out of blind panic of wanting to get set up. Was met with a critical error message, and several noises and glitches. Looked like I wasn’t going to be able to play, but some guy from the crowd went home and got his son’s 2006 era Yamaha PSR, which hadn’t been touched in over a decade. It didn’t even have a proper output. We went on stage 30 mins late but the show went on.

Found a piano patch and a couple of organs and away we went. 

I’ll tell you something; those pianos cut through a mix like a hot knife through butter, and the sampled organs would have fooled 90% of the crowd (apart from a couple of keyboard centred moments where the band and I couldn’t help laughing at my expense). 

Dried the Electro out, waited until the last possible moment before turning it on for tonight’s gig (incidentally our biggest of the year) and it managed soundcheck flawlessly. Seems to be fine. 

Lesson learned: don’t diss the Yamaha PSR, the Nord soft case is not very waterproof, and there is wisdom in schlepping a spare keyboard. 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

The PSRs have a usb B output that will control vb3m and b3x ios and vb3m on Android. And the keybeds are not any worse and somewhat better than most mid level novations or arturias.

Unfortunately the other buttons on the psr don't send CC but a house psr and your vb3m equipped phone and a few little adapters and you're king of the blues jam. 

FunMachine.

4 hours ago, nadroj said:

Played a festival last night. The roof of the marque our gear was securely stored in collapsed due to the unrelenting rain, and my Electro fell victim to the torrent of flood water that quickly filled the tent. My band mates managed to rescue it fairly quickly but the damage was done.

Lesson learned: don’t diss the Yamaha PSR, the Nord soft case is not very waterproof, and there is wisdom in schlepping a spare keyboard. 

Excellent tale from the trenches! Scary, too. Turn that thing off, you sainted fool! :doh: I'm glad your Nord bounced back! :clap:

I've been highly gratified to save several bits of soaked electronics with a blow dryer. Just FYI.

PSRs were once cheese factories. Now they're downright competitive. The higher-end effects bring them closer to the line we take for granted in more known/traditional synths. I was shown the light when a music store lurker whipped out a great barrelhouse piece with the first AC piano patch. Several threads of late have debated the best safety keyboard. I find it funny that the list can rightfully include a PSR or two. It also seems to offer more peace of mind, as they're far easier to replace than any of the more mainline muscle instruments. Worthy.

• Like 1

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx