Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Artists are pissed: AI-generated artwork wins first place at competition

Artists are pissed: AI-generated artwork wins first place at competition

Picture shown here is not the AI-generated art. This one used the word prompts "If the Beatles were Goth".

Click the link for the article!

kenlee-If-the-Beatles-were-Goth-Midjourn

Word prompt": "If the Beatles were Goth"

#aiart #AIartcommunity #photofocus #kenlee #photography #aiartwork

• 1 month later...

Great article and interesting topic. 

For me, Art is the freedom to create tension and release.

How one gets there does not matter in the slightest. 

If I put so many effects on my guitar that it does not sound like a guitar at all, is that wrong and bad?

If I take a photo, mangle it beyond recognition into something beautiful that reaches people, should I not do that because other people with limited imaginations think I should just do the things they think I am "supposed to do"? 

I figure if I ignore them, they will go away. I just want to be creative, if the end is compelling it justifies the means. 

No, I don't think photography should have "separate categories", in fact I think the idea is archaic and absurd. 

It doesn't take anything away from a spectacular image that was captured by a camera, not in the slightest. 

Beautiful art is beautiful art, nothing else needs to be defined. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I get it, though. If I worked really hard at my craft for a long time, and it turns out that someone can type in a string of words and produce art that takes away from my livelihood, I'm gonna be pissed. Someday, that could happen with my night photography. They could bite into my photography sales, the amount of people taking workshops, or my books. Who knows? But that won't stop me from doing what I love to do regardless even if it hits my pocketbook a little.

6 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I get it, though. If I worked really hard at my craft for a long time, and it turns out that someone can type in a string of words and produce art that takes away from my livelihood, I'm gonna be pissed. Someday, that could happen with my night photography. They could bite into my photography sales, the amount of people taking workshops, or my books. Who knows? But that won't stop me from doing what I love to do regardless even if it hits my pocketbook a little.

I'm certain that AI will not replace your night photography. You might find it useful yourself. 

It may be used to create new worlds too, and new ideas. AI is an ideal tool for movies as well. The world of creativity marches on!

Yeah, it's not going to replace my night photography. Not while I am doing it. But I have noticed that some people are creating things from MidJourney, and a few of the comments are wondering if they are photos already. So who knows. It's not something I can get worked up about because my worrying isn't going to change it, and I do the whole process of night photography as art.

I have generated some AI art for possible future articles but haven't actually used any of them yet. They don't really look like photos, more like drawings, but I thought some of them might come in handy for something. 

• Like 1

It's important to allow our imaginations to run wild.!

I'm the same with music, my guitar is a vehicle to dimensions unknown and at the same time I can just toss down a mean Folsom Prison Blues if that's what fills the dance floor.