Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I love scrambled eggs and I make them at least twice a week.  They're bland on their own so I experimented with adding condiments, cheeses, etc.  Years ago I settled on grated parmesan cheese.  It adds some flavor without dominating, easy to mix in the eggs, and they come out consistent every time.  Add the cheese before putting the eggs on the fire.  A heaping soup spoon of cheese with two eggs seems to be the magic combo.

I love feta cheese but it is hard to get consistent results and it's a messy clean up.  Cheddar is too strong.

When I order eggs in a restaurant boy I forgot how bland they can be.  I liked tabasco sauce on eggs but I can't eat spicy condiments anymore.  When I was a kid we put ketchup on scrambled eggs but I grew out of that.

Nothing fancy, mind you...  other ideas for eggs?

• Like 1

I'm certainly an egg fan.  I also eat them several times a week; however, my particular form of poison/preferred delivery system is the breakfast sandwich.

I have a Villaware 2160 panini grill that I love to bits.  Bread-wise, I can go several ways depending on my mood...but I prefer a fresh baked onion bagel, which is easy to get from the local market - they have a killer bakery. A few pieces of bacon cooked in a small iron skillet right between chewy and crisp, one egg with a dash of milk well beaten and scrambled as dry as possible in the bacon grease and usually deli sliced white American cheese.  Occasionally I do a gruyere/cheddar mix I can get at my local market, but I usually pair that with sliced ham instead of the bacon.

If I'm in a hurry, I will do the microwave bacon, and I found a really cool trick to microwave a scrambled egg for bagels.  You need a shallow bowl, approximately the width of a bagel.  Beat an egg and a dash of milk like normal and pour it into the shallow bowl, then put a small corner piece of butter in the very center and microwave for 40-45 seconds.  

The butter makes a hole appear in the center of the egg - perfect for a bagel.  Depending on how dry you like your egg, you may have to flip it and nuke for another 10 seconds.

Cheese on the bagel bottom, then bacon, then egg.  Salt and pepper the egg to taste, and more cheese on the bagel top before closing if you feel like it.

Panini press heated to medium, two to three minutes should melt the cheese nicely.

A7023D7E-A0F6-45CA-8C39-6F7FE0C90B5C.jpeg

dB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 2 weeks later...

I like eggs fried, omelettes, scrambled, hard boiled, soft boiled…. I like eggs.

I’m also a major cheeseophile, and often experiment with pairings with eggs.  Depending on how I prepare them, cheeses I like with eggs are:

American

Swiss

Cheddar

Smoked gouda

Boursin (original)

Labneh

Cream

Parmesan

Brie

Parrano

Bellevitano

Blue Castello

Cambozolla

Akkawi

I enjoy poached eggs in soups.  A place near me does an udon noodle soup with spinach and a poached egg- I typically add a second one.  Back in the 1980s, I was traveling in Hungary and was served a bowl of goulash with a raw egg cracked on top at the tableside.

The humble (and cheap!) Breakfast Jack is a perennial favorite, as is Denny’s similar Moons Over My Hammy.  The former, I season only with black pepper.  The latter I sometimes eat straight, sometimes with a custom dipping sauce: yellow mustard and A1 steak sauce in equal amounts blended with Tabasco and black pepper to taste.

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

5 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I’m also a major cheeseophile, and often experiment with pairings with eggs.  Depending on how I prepare them, cheeses I like with eggs are:

American

Swiss

Cheddar

Smoked gouda

Boursin (original)

Labneh

Cream

Parmesan

Brie

Parrano

Bellevitano

Blue Castello

Cambozolla

This list is awesome, Danny!   There are a few that I’ve never heard of, much less tasted. I’m intrigued…

You haven’t got my absolute favorite though - Gruyère. Fabulous on eggs.  Munster can be delightful as well…and goat cheese, stirred in scrambled eggs adds a nice creamy tang.  

That reminds me - many years ago, I used to go to a Greek restaurant for breakfast that made me an off-menu Eggs Benedict thing using gyros meat and goat cheese with a touch of Tzatziki - yummy.

5 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

The humble (and cheap!) Breakfast Jack is a perennial favorite, as is Denny’s similar Moons Over My Hammy.

The original Egg McMuffin is one of my guilty pleasures, especially on the way home after a gig.  I’m also a Moons Over My Hammy fan, not least because of the fun name….but mostly because it was the first breakfast sandwich that exposed me to the concept of combining multiple meats on one.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I forgot those!  Yeah, they all work with eggs, too!

Back to eggs, though…

As simple as it is, I still like the occasional egg drop soup, usually at Chinese buffets, topped with some green onions.

The Italians have something similar called Stracciatella.  Their take adds spinach and is seasoned slightly differently.  Still, good stuff, and it’s a soup I occasionally make for myself. I whisk the eggs and seasoning together in a measuring cup.  Then I slowly drizzle it into my chicken & spinach broth mix, disrupting the flow of the pour with my whisk.  This results in nicely seasoned sheets and filaments of egg suspended in the soup.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

I’m a fan of Eggs Benedict, and I’ve tried many variations.  Most were pretty good.  But the original is still my fave.

Another basic but tasty dish is bacon & egg pan pie.  It’s as simple or complicated as you want, but as you’ll see from the videos, it’s best done when feeding a bunch of people.

And then there’s shakshuka…

Mmmm... Eggs!!!

I have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast every morning. I use the same boiling water to make freshly ground drip coffee, it's an efficiency.

Once in a while one of my friends has extra eggs from the chickens his daughter owns. Fresh chicken eggs from free range chickens are the best!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.