Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"You Can't Sit Down" (Philip Upchurch Combo) - Hammond sound

Kawai James

Hello folks,

I'd like to ask any Hammond aficionados if they can help me to reproduce the "vintage", out of condition Hammond sound in this tune (organ solo from 1:09):

I've played this tune for a few years using my Electro 3 with a fair amount of leakage and distortion to get something of a "vintage" sound.

However, I'm looking to transition over to my iPad as a tone generator, so figured I can perhaps get a more authentic sound using B-3X, given the multitude of options and settings available.

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

There's something else in play too, right?

Mono!

Single mic set back from the Leslie, but probably still being overloaded a bit along the way.

Running NE3 in mono will not get the same effect, alas, because that's the board summing to mono.

I'm convinced that's what makes that Mike Melvoin intro to "That's Life" sound so badass too. (That one's a stereo record, but it's the "Beatles stereo" thing of just putting mono tracks on different sides of the stereo field.) You can hear the distance between that mic and the speaker. 

I have a strengthening conviction that in the end, we should just go back to recording all instruments in mono, and only use stereo for the effects we add to those instruments. All those old soul records...so punchy. 

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

7 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

I have a strengthening conviction that in the end, we should just go back to recording all instruments in mono, and only use stereo for the effects we add to those instruments. All those old soul records...so punchy. 

Reminds me of a video I saw (posted here?) about recording directly to tape - firstly with one mic for the whole band, then two, then four. Mixing was done by varying the distance between musician and mic. The engineer said he loved the first recording (with a single mic), because the mic was such high quality.

Cheers, Mike.

One of my fave rock instrumentals -- besides organ, it features sax, guitar, and trumpet solos. 

Chicago musician Philip Upchurch’s band was comprised of Upchurch on guitar, Cornell Muldrow on organ, David Brooks on sax, Marc Johnson on trumpet, and Joe Hoddrick on drums. Muldrow wrote “You Can’t Sit Down.” The influence of this instrumental hit was felt in every garage and bar band for many years. The Dovells made a #3 vocal hit of this song in 1963.

- THE HISTORY OF TOP 40 SAXOPHONE SOLOS 1955-2015

By John Laughter & Steve D. Marshall

Tenor sax solo on the Dovells version is by Georgie Young

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

3 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Apparently the organ player wrote the tune....

I wonder how much of this is an overdriven organ and how much is a really crappy recording.  I see buried meter needles when I listen.

I wonder how much of that is an overdriven organ and how much of that is a really crappy recording.  I see buried meter needles when I listen.

• Like 1