Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Virtual Vintage Analog

2 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

The VA engine in the Kurzweil's is pretty damn good, all things considered. I've been able to recreate sounds originally made on my ARP Odyssey MkII on the Forte and they are damn close. One trick is to use a separate LPF to attenuate the high-end a bit and to use the drive feature in one of the filters (don't recall which one at the moment). 

Regarding the overall point, the thing that most manufacturers miss (including Arturia and their plug-ins) is emulating the sloppiness of the envelopes. That randomness in each note due to envelope offsets is subtle but key to recreating a true vintage analog sound.

On my PC3,- in opposite to ENV2 and ENV3,- only a layer´s AMP ENV parameters can be modulated.

Is that different in Forte and K2700 meanwhile,- or is it the same ?

:)

A.C.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, AnotherScott said:

Not everyone is interested (or only interested) in making new sounds/music. Tons of players (most gigging players, I'd bet) do covers, and want the old sounds. Also, old sounds can still have a desirable character that can be used in new music as well. It's not like we've stopped using acoustic piano, rhodes, or B3 sounds just because they're been around for so long. The mellotron sounds have certainly made occasional comebacks, and not only in stuff that is supposed to sound "retro."

This ..

Usually some will say something about how authentic the B3 sounds in my rig, I hear that alot.  Two weeks ago I did a gig and after the first set a guy came up to me and said how authentic the Rhodes sounded.  He used the term spot-on.  I asked him if he ever played one, he said years ago he use to own one but he got rid of it.  Several of the songs in that particular set called for a rhodes which I used.  First time I think that anyone ever specifically called out a rhodes as sounding authentic as a talking point other than another musician.  As mentioned in the quote above when you are covering older music and you are striving for authenticity in sound recreation this does come into play.  New music?  Don't listen to it and couldn't even tell you what sort of instruments are used to create it.  

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Well, this is trivial: because I am using both the pitch bend and modulation for different things (the pitch bend does a global filter cutoff control + volume, whereas the mod wheel changes the shape from narrow pulse towards square). Since they are next to each other it is easy to control them together which is what I do but I would have loved to have two mod wheels as on an OB rather than one self-centering pitch bend wheel... 

Not for me to question your choices but if you are trying to get the most resolution to put Diva on a level playing field with Hydra....     Why not cutoff+volume on the ribbon and PW on aftertouch maybe? 

Nice geeky information about the Inverse Phase Diff Saw.  👍 It's nice Hydra has that. Opens a lot of doors. Reminds me of Gordon Reid's little treatise on PWM with normal saws ...

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synthesizing-strings-pwm-string-sounds

CG, I am beginning to have gas for Hydra. Are you sure you don't work for ASM? 🤣

28 minutes ago, Tusker said:

Why not cutoff+volume on the ribbon and PW on aftertouch maybe? 

I have programmed aftertouch to open the filter and apply vibrato (including vibrato rate increase). Then with the pitch bend I open the filter even further, so it's like I apply the base line brightness of the filter through the pitch bend and then fine-modulate the filter through aftertouch. And the mod wheel is for wave-shaping. I could've used an expression pedal instead but my "studio" is in our bedroom which is why I try to keep it tidy and everything is in some boxes, so lately I just don't bother using pedals and the likes... 😢 I really need a dedicated space for making music.

28 minutes ago, Tusker said:

CG, I am beginning to have gas for Hydra. Are you sure you don't work for ASM? 🤣

I started with a very typical love/hate relation but after two years it's mostly love now 😀I still have these occasional moments where I say "meh, that sucks, what a silly digital synth!" but those are much rarer than the regular joy I get from it. Then, I find something to hate about anything in life, so the problem might not even be with the Hydra 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1